Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

When the going gets tough, the soft eat peanut butter and jam on potato bread

Someone just stole my bike this afternoon. I had it locked up outside of Target, next to Lane's. It was a beautiful bike, too. I got it for my birthday in May. It was silver with black rims and fenders, all the charm of a boardwalk-style bike and with six gears. It had a basket and a bell. Damn, I loved that bike.

Aside from my love for the bike's aesthetics I miss its usefulness. I took Jasper everywhere in it, the park, preschool, the zoo, the botanic gardens. Having your bike stolen is almost a rite of passage in New York, but Lane's already had two of his own bikes stolen so I'd kind of hoped we were done.

We came home and Lane made us open-faced peanut butter and jam sandwiches on potato bread, exactly what we need. And then he left to buy a bottle of wine, also exactly what we need.

It's been a rough week, actually. Weaning sucks (har har) and suddenly Jasper wants me to stay with him in preschool, which kind of defeats the purpose. And I've been feeling very Eleanor Rigby in general. Like vanilla ice cream with a rock, popsicle stick, and food mill handle thrown in.


Anyway, despite this I managed to use two kaffir limes (including zested peel) and a dozen other limes to make a creamy tart that Lane loved. I have come to the painful realization that I don't care much for kaffir limes. Too floral/soapy.


Tonight we will take refuge in my same-old spaghetti. It will taste good. If we're lucky we'll watch 60 Minutes instead of Kiki's Delivery Service for the 400th time this week. And then we'll start a new week.

7 comments:

liz said...

sounds like you need a good SF fix.
that sucks your bike got stolen- sounds like it was a 'just right' bike and not a 'this is ok for now' bike. Lame!
and what is a food mill? and how did its handle get into the ice cream bucket?

Co said...

Sorry about your bike. That sucks.

But glad you drowned some sorrows in pb & jam. And wine.

shaunamama said...

Awwwww. I'm so sorry about your bike and the week being so rough. I'm thinking of you.

Janet M. Kincaid said...

What a total bummer about your bike. There's nothing I despise more than a thief, having had my car stolen. It's absolutely infruriating and the biggest inconvenience. Here's hoping you and Jasper are back on a bike in short order.

And, boy, there is nothing better than a PB&J for comfort.

Here's another alternative: peanut butter and nutella on white bread thrown in the sandwich grill. Divine.

Anonymous said...

That's awful. There is still this naive part of me that can't believe people would really steal something from someone else.

During the first two months post-partum, I indulged myself in that very thing--PB&J on potato bread--daily, sometimes 2 or 3 times. It just tastes good when you're feeling down.

Writermama said...

So sorry about your bike! That is heartbreaking. At least it wasn't ripped from you at knifepoint: A. experienced the loss of his bike like that on the Williamsburg Bridge back in the day.

We've had a bike stolen just after we were married and living in the East Village--A. hadn't locked it up correctly. Luckily, it was a beater bike. Consequently, we've only used thrift-store bikes.

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks everyone. Boo hoo. Bikes in NYC are like feathers. They just float out of your life like nothing.

Lane actually had a bike stolen from him in a similar manner, WM. It was parked at the bottom of some brownstone stairs while he talked with someone at the top. A kid flashed something shiny (it was dark out) and just took off.

Janet, I've been searching for an excuse to buy Nutella. Thanks!