Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Roasted tilapila with Mexican rice but without something important



I FORGOT THE CAPERS!

Dang. And I remembered them just as I was finishing the last bite. Well, the capers were good over the lunch leftovers at least.

My mom's Mexican rice
Stir rice, chopped onion, and minced garlic into hot oil (corn or canola) and cook until rice is toasted. Pour in equal parts chicken stock and crushed or pureed canned tomatoes. I use about the same volume of stock/tomato as I would use water for regular rice; do check part-way through cooking, though, to see if the rice needs more liquid. Bring rice, stock, and tomatoes to a simmer, then cook covered until done.

I spread the rice in the bottom of a roasting pan and then placed the tilapila fillets over the rice. Over the fish I poured more crushed tomatoes as well as the last of the Hatch chiles my sister sent last year, sliced garlic, some lemon juice, a drizzle of olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. I roasted the fish for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, but actually it would have been better for just 35 minutes. (I have this weird feeling I've made this dish before, but then I get cooking deja vu all the time.)

Don't forget to add the capers. And because I feel strongly about this, please, please use capers in salt instead of capers in water or vinegar. The salt capers just taste so much better, though you will need to rinse them well.

WIMFD has been a little slow lately. One reason is that I'm preoccupied: Thanksgiving is a week away! So much to do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks FABULOUS. We love Tilapia and I'm always looking for another way to cook it. I'm going to make that this weekend.