Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving countdown: Day 3

Taffy is brining. I'm going to stuff and truss, and I'm not going to turn her. But she'll be so loaded with butter it won't matter. I'm trying this trick of icing the breast for an hour before roasting so it starts out a few degrees colder. Plus I'm only cooking her to 165 degrees. I'm hoping my gamble pays off.

The sweet potatoes are cooked, mashed, and strained. I only strained them twice. Four or five times -- did I really say that? Who has time to do that?!? Please, once will do a lot, twice is pretty damn good, any more than that is just masochistic.

Tomorrow I will assemble the stuffing in the morning and by one the bird should be in the oven.

Gobble gobble

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the other night I was reading about stuffing and turkeys and the lot. In one of my Cooks' Illustrated cooking books, it talks about heating the stuffing in the microwave to 120 degrees and then stuffing the bird, and then roasting the bird. That way the stuffing isn't in the danger zone for bacteria, yada, yada, yada. And then the breast stays moist, etc.

I like the butter idea. Mmmm.

I can't believe you render your own lard. I'm in awe of you.

shaunamama said...

The sweet potatoes turned out FABULOUSLY! Thank you so very much!
Hope you guys had a joyous and wonderful holiday!

Janet M. Kincaid said...

So, Adriana, how did Thanksgiving turn out for the Velez-Twitchell clan? Inquiring minds want to know...

Swizzies said...

Yeah, I'm waiting to hear about the thanksgiving and rite of passage et al. Even though I'm still throwing up in my mouth a little bit with all the lard and RENDERING talk. Gack. :-P

I still think your sweet potatoes sound divine - a pound of butter and some yummy spices, well, you can't really go wrong, can you. :-)