Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A new beginning

Heads up! It's time for a new start. Keeping a daily log of what I made for dinner was a useful and (usually) fun exercise. It got me writing every day. But quite frankly, I was growing tired of the routine. More importantly, I felt caught in what a critic once said about an artist's work: it became merely the recorded life, rather than the examined life.

I want more time to work on my little food essays, and I'd like the blog to have a different format. So I will be publishing once a week, every Wednesday morning. I will have at least three different posts each Wednesday:

  • Weekly essay. This will include recipes and be about what I learned that week, or a discovery, or a meditation, anything that I found particularly inspiring. It will usually be about food, but I may sneak something else in every once in a while.
  • Find of the week.This will be food, a kitchen gadget, or some other domestic object. (Thanks to Liz for the idea.)
  • What's for dinner? Here's where you come in. Write me questions about a particular fruit, vegetable, meat, ask for recipes, ask about techniques. If I don't know the answer I'll search out a reputable source. I've set up an e-mail for this: adriana.whatsfordinner@gmail.com

I will also be tinkering with the blog look, messing with fonts and colors. I did learn one thing, however. Just as food photographs best on white plates, food blogs look best on a white background. No more retina-burning color schemes.

Thanks readers, for hanging in there with me. You make the magic happen! All five of you. YOU make the magic happen. So go and tell all your friends and neighbors to tune in next Wednesday for the new, super-absorbent WIMFD.

Now here is a gratuitous picture of the boy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading your new format. I look more forward to getting the chance to read your writing more often!

I LOVE Jasper's smile in that pic. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how adorable he is. That smile is pure sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Like the new format. Like the new ideas. Looking forward to Wednesdays!

And, of course, gratuitous pictures of St. Jasper are always my favorite part. Love the look of sheer happiness on his face. Great picture!

Anonymous said...

I'm super excited. I've been sick of my blog lately, too. It's gone from a blog that is sort of about food to a blog where I complain about my toddler.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for us!

ticklethepear said...

Count me in for an entry on Moroccan food....

liz said...

I can't wait to see how it reads- sounds like it will be more rewarding for you.

We will miss the Jasper pictures.

Feel free to sneak in some between Wed. if you feel so inclined!

Mary Ellen said...

I'll miss the frequency, but I like the new direction!

I'm looking for things to do with quinoa. Might be able to contribute an entry on abelskivers once I figure out where to buy a pan.

Tania said...

I'm excited for find of the week - I'm always looking for any fun new gadget - and in my book, if it shaves a few seconds off the meal prep time, it's worth it!

janeannechovy said...

ME--I got an abelskiver pan from Christmas. It's the Norpro one, but you can get the Lodge Logic one at Sur la Table, and I just checked and both brands can be found at Amazon.

Adriana Velez said...

Not to worry, Liz, I'll continue to add gratuitous pictures of Jasper.

Co said...

Sounds fun. I like having a reason to look forward to Wednesdays.

Hmmm... I am always looking for new recipes that include either pignoli (pine nuts) or greens(kale, broccoli rabe, escarole). If you hate those foods, feel free to not pay it any mind. But those are some of my faves.

Hevansrich said...

Oh J.A. unfortunately I barely understand a word you said in your comment. That is why you must keep the mommy side of your blog alive and vibrant Adriana, for the culinary-challenged of the group (me).

Mary Ellen said...

Thanks for the sources, JA.

And Heather, don't sell yourself short in the culinary department. One of my favorite recipes--chicken and sausage gumbo--was one you submitted to the RS newsletter many years ago!

Adriana, mind if I pinch that "Find of the Week" idea for my new blogging gig?

Adriana Velez said...

Go right aheah, ME. And Heather, I had to google "abelskiver" because I'd never heard of them, either.

Anonymous said...

popping in from design mom and not a moment too soon it appears! i haven't been around for your old "what i made for dinner," but from reading a little of your writing (fabulous) i can see that the new "what i made for dinner" is going to be a treat too.