Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A few intriguing books


I just saw this the other day at the bookstore. Originally published in the early 70's, the author seems to have collected random turn-of-the-century advertising images and built a freaked-out story around them. I loved this kooky book but Jasper wasn't into it. Maybe I'll buy it for him anyway and see if he grows into it.


I have a friend whose husband reviews children's books, so there's a steady sprinkling of literary magic in their lives. She was especially excited by The Invention of Hugo Cabret, a new book by Brian Selznick. The story is about a boy who lives inside the walls of a Paris train station, but that's just the beginning -- the book is also a graphic novel with the most gorgeous illustrations and design. It's for readers around 10, maybe a precocious 8-year-old. Selznick has a website for the book, too. Rumor has it that Scorsese wants to adapt it to the screen.


A kind neighbor in publishing gave us G is for One Gzonk, a wacky alphabet-numbers book that thumbs its nose at other alphabet books. Jasper loves this book with a startling passion. We read it almost every night.

I just finished doing our taxes. Must find a way to celebrate... tomorrow.

1 comment:

Luisa Perkins said...

Adriana, I'm intrigued. I was trying really hard to go on a book-buying diet, but that was probably not a very realistic goal for me. Oh, well! Off topic, if you're interested, I just posted the recipe for Chocolate Drop Dead Cookies.