Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, February 18, 2007

The week in recipes


The E-Z chicken pot pie of undying shame

1 puff pastry sheet
2 cups chicken stock
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts, if you must)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 russett potatoes, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup frozen peas
herbs such as rosemary, thyme, sage
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set out puff pastry sheet to defrost.

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and poach in chicken stock until done. Melt butter in pan and stir in flour. Add hot chicken stock little by little to make a thickened broth. Pour into baking dish and add chicken, potatoes, peas, herbs, salt, and pepper. Cover with puff pastry. Trim corners. pastry should hang about 1/2 off dish all around. Brush with egg.

Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

How to roast a duck

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Rinse duck and pat dry. Pierce skin of breast all over several times, taking care not to pierce flesh as well (you want to drain the fat out while the bird roasts). Rub salt all over duck. Stuff cavity with a few sprigs of rosemary. Place duck on rack in roasting pan breast side down. Roast for 2 hours.

Drain fat from pan and flip duck breast-side up. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees. Roast for another 30 minutes. Let rest a few minutes before devouring with bare hands.


Monday night we had chili and cornbread muffins. You probably already have 1000 recipes for both, but here are a few twists:

I like to add molassas and a hickory-flavored barbecue sauce to my chili -- about a quarter cup of each. I've also had chili with good, smoked bacon and it's fantastic, but I keep forgetting to add some to my own. A friend of mine was just telling me about how her husband mixes in peanut butter to mellow the extra-hot peppers he likes to use. And she knows a chef who starts his chili with flat amber ale and orange peel. I love that idea.

I added about 2 tablespoons of minced rosemary and 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts to the cornbread muffins.

You probably need another brownie recipe like you need another hole in the head, but I like this one a lot.

6 oz unsalted butter
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and chocolate together and stir. Whisk together eggs and sugar. Fold in chocolate and butter. Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt and stir into mixture. Pour into square pan and bake for 40 minutes.

2 comments:

shaunamama said...

I am so trying the chicken pot pie recipe. It's not only one of my favorite dishes to make, but something my children will actually eat! I want to try your version though for sure.

Co said...

Actually, I am always on the lookout for new brownie recipes. So, thanks.

And I will be trying the E-Z chicken pot pie recipe. Sounds delish.