Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Asparagus 2, Jasper -- oh nevermind


I had a little more luck with the asparagus today. In honor of St. Patrick's Day I made green mashed potatoes. I roasted some asparagus with a chicken and potatoes, then mashed the veggies together with the drippings. Jasper had a few bites. I was grateful. But as Puddle was kind enough to point out to me, his aversion could just be due to genes.


Remember shamrock shakes at McDonald's? I've been thinking about them this weekend and I've come to the conclusion that they were flavored with mint and malt -- and probably a bunch of chemicals as well. I don't currently have a source for malt (anybody?) so we made grasshopper shakes instead. Superman helped. You see, Superman likes to help people.


We blended vanilla ice cream with milk, just a few drops of peppermint extract, and some green frosting gel. Then we blended in some chocolate we melted earlier for chocolate-dipped strawberries. The ice cream froze the melted chocolate into tiny little chips.


Aside from our shamrock shakes and green mashed potatoes I celebrated St. Patrick's Day by watching the parade in our neighborhood, the movie The Departed, and this episode of 30 Rock. Don't you just love Alec Baldwin?

10 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Alec Baldwin is hy-frickin'-sterical in 30 Rock. Good choice.

Now I'm craving asparagus. I'm thinking with bow-tie pasta, lemon and pine nuts.

JMK said...

Funny what kids will and won't eat and when they will and won't eat it. When my brother was 12, most of his buddies LOVED pizza, but my brother wouldn't touch the stuff. Broccoli, on the other hand, he couldn't get enough of. It was weird.

Maybe in 10 years, Jasper will adore asparagus... Who knows? It could happen... Maybe....

Co said...

Ah, I myself never had a shamrock shake. In fact, I was in my mid-20s when I had my first milkshake, I think. No reason. I'd just never been inclined.

I love your green food festivities. And Superman! Is there anything he CAN'T do?

Swizzies said...

I always used to by Carnation Malt powder (comes in regular or chocolate) at any grocery in the states pretty much. Even in NYC. Located near the Quik/Ovaltine section usually.

Yum on the food, as always. :-)

Lindsey said...

I have been loving your asparagus adventures. My Lilly used to eat everything we gave to her, and now nothing. You are giving me ideas....

I don't remember the Shamrock shakes, but I remember reading about them online last year around this time. Isn't there some kind of movement to bring them back.

I'm going to send you some malt powder. So, be waiting.

Hevansrich said...

good for you for keeping up with Jasper and the asparagus - I like it when you put in kid friendly food tips which you do often and well - my own kids would only eat asparagus if it were chopped into minute bits and then baked in a chocolate cake. maybe.
I myself really only like asparagus in stir frys, and then I like the mini kind better than the bigger kind, and only the top two inches or so of the stalk (is it any wonder my kids are picky eaters??)
I haven't seen 30 Rock but would like to - I do get my daily doses of Alec Baldwin as he narrates us through the late afternoon with tales of Thomas the Tank Engine and all of his railway friends. He's very good.

Luisa Perkins said...

You can get malt (and much other goody-goodness) from the King Arthur Flour website.

Those mashed potatoes look spectacular!

Jane Maynard said...

instead of working (which I SHOULD be doing right now) I've been blog surfing and found you - your blog is awesome - so funny! and I've read some of your articles elsewhere... now I sound like a crazy stalker, but I'm not - promise! just glad to have found your writings! :)

shaunamama said...

Great post. I've found that as the kids grow older, their tastes get broader. Maybe someday for Jasper.

I love the pic of Superman helping.

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks, everyone, for the malt sources.

Lindsey, stop, that is so nice of you!

Jane, I welcome all stalkers.

Hmm, asparagus in chocolate cake, huh? I wonder how they would work in brownies...