Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Blood orange glazed salmon


Back when I wrote the Naomi and Nicole post I though, hmm, salmon and watercress... that actually sound pretty good. But since the sublime fresh salmon hasn't made its appearance at the Food Coop yet I had to come up with something to dress up the frozen salmon they carry. This recipe is based on a recipe printed on the package. (I generally consider recipes-on-the-package a good place to start.)

20-25 ounces salmon
1-2 bunches watercress, washed and trimmed
1/4 cup blood orange juice
zest from one blood orange
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons minced ginger root
1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon corn starch

Season the salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. Cook on medium heat in vegetable oil, skin side down, for 2-3 minutes, then turn and cook another 2-3 minutes. This should be long enough. Remove from pan. Wilt watercress in remaining oil (you may want to scrape out fish skin first) until desired tenderness. Remove.

While salmon is cooking whisk together blood orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and water in a bowl. When salmon and watercress are cooked, whisk in corn starch and then pour all into pan. Stirring constantly, cook just until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Pour sauce over salmon.

Jasper loved the fish and even asked for seconds. That never happens. When he had some leftovers just a few minutes ago, however, he did request that I scrape off the sauce. He gamely tried the watercress without our cajoling him but found it too bitter.

A few notes on this sauce. I don't consider cornstarch-thickened sauces very elegant, but they're quick and they'll certainly do on a weeknight. Since the sauce thickens so quickly the ginger and garlic remain mostly raw. I like this effect as it gives the sauce some bite. You could leave the ginger and garlic out if you fear your picky eaters won't like it, though because this is a cornstarch-based sauce it scrapes off the fish very easily.

For a more elegant sauce, start by softening the garlic and ginger in a little oil. Pour in the blood orange juice, soy sauce, about 1/4 cup fish stock, and 1/4 cup white wine (you could probably go a little sweet with this sauce), reduce the sauce stirring constantly. Strain before pouring over the salmon.

Since we are not movie stars we fear no carbohydrates. We had our salmon and watercress with this lovely free-trade coral rice. Pink rice!




Chopin Lizt:

20-25 ounces salmon
1-2 bunches watercress
2 blood oranges (just in case)
soy sauce
1" ginger root
fresh garlic
corn starch
rice

For dinner party alternate sauce skip the cornstarch and add:

white wine (I think dry or sweet, depending on what you prefer, would be fine, just not buttery)
fish stock or vegetable stock

4 comments:

liz said...

mmmmmmmm looks yummy and love the colors.

hey I invited you to zane's blog with your mac address- should I try a different one? I think I have 3 emails for you (?). Maybe just two and I am being dramatic. ;-)

Swizzies said...

Hee hee...I don't overly dig salmon or watercress.

But what DO I dig?

A: Wonder Woman is in the picture!!!

B: "Chopin Liszt" - good one!

:-D

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, I cannot WAIT to try this! Thanks. When are you going to slurp all these excellent blog posts into a cookbook?

Adriana Velez said...

LOL, I forgot to credit Wonder Woman for helping us make the meal. She's the superhero de jour.

Luisa, know a cookbook publisher? ;)