Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Chorizo



There are two different kinds of chorizo -- did you already know this? There's the hard, cured Spanish kind and the raw, spiced Mexican kind. You can easily find Spanish chorizo at any specialty market in the city, but Mexican chorizo is more elusive. And even when I do find it I have to wonder about the ground pork meat. Where did it come from? How many different pigs are actually in the package? Were they fed hormones? Were they slaughtered correctly, cleanly, or was the house a mess? Raw chorizo is a problem for me.

But here's the part of the post where the clouds part and a beam of sunshine lights upon a wonderful food source. Yes, I have found some chorizo I can count on: it's from the Flying Pigs Farm in upstate New York. They're at my farmer's market on Saturdays, and Union Square during the week (and they have a daughter Jasper's age). The pigs at Flying Pigs are all heirloom animals, rare breeds that will die out if we don't eat them. Do you hear me, vegetarians? Rare breeds of pigs will die out if we don't eat them! Aw, I'm just teasing. Sort of.

Anyway, the chorizo itself is good enough -- not like the divine (though probably toxic) stuff you can buy from real Mexicans, but it will do. I browned some with onions and then drained in a paper towel-lined strainer. We made tacos with the chorizo, shredded cabbage, lime juice, sour cream, and chopped mango. I also love chorizo with scrambled eggs, but for that I will have to buy more at Saturday's farmer's market.



Here we have a picture of a factory with good bunnies and bad bunnies. The good bunnies (inside the blue blocks to the back) make cupcakes. The bad bunnies (inside the green blocks) make swords. The blue contraption on the right is the motor that smooshes it all together and makes it work.

I didn't think they would take at first, but Jasper has gotten in heavy with the blocks. And because he's the son of an artist he builds MASTERPIECES and then doesn't anyone to touch them. Oh lordy, I don't know if there's room enough in this little apartment for another artist.

Here's his idea of smiling nicely for a picture.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

He's so FREAKIN' cute!!!

Okay, so I started to make my own chorizo. It's totally easy and you can control what goes into it. It's not the dried kind, obviously. But look online (?) for recipes. I think that's where I found mine. I'll e-mail it to you.

Are you still doing your "Ask Adriana" segments? I think I have a few for you....

(Thanks for you super nice comments on my blog and DM. You are too complimentary and kind.)

liz said...

hahah 'oh lordy...' was the best sent. ever.

that's how I feel about TWO other people in my family not talking very much. Can someone around here talk please so I can stop talking to myself all the time?

love the heli shirt- he is so dang cute.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh yeah, why not make my own?

YES -- Ask Adriana is still in business, waiting for questions.

That's Glug -- which I found thanks to you! In another months or so I'll have to replace it. He loves that t-shirt.

Maybe #2 will be a talker?

Adriana Velez said...

Oh yeah, why not make my own?

YES -- Ask Adriana is still in business, waiting for questions.

That's Glug -- which I found thanks to you! In another months or so I'll have to replace it. He loves that t-shirt.

Maybe #2 will be a talker?

Swizzies said...

Mmmm, pigs taste good! :-)

Hevansrich said...

I"m impressed! Kids don't usually learn that painful forced smile until its time for them to pose for the expensive, mandatory school portraits which you must buy sheets and sheets of and which end up in the yearbook for time and all eternity - he's very advanced.

shaunamama said...

Sending a kiss for each one of those cute Jasper cheeks. I LOVE his masterpiece...very very wonderful, that one.

Co said...

There is a dachshund in our neighborhood named Chorizo.

I have a question. Do you have any recommendations for restaurants to visit during Brooklyn Restaurant Week?
http://www.visitbrooklyn.org/dining.html

I don't eat out much, but Restaurant Week is a good excuse for a mid-week eat-out adventure.

Robbins said...

Eating the pigs in order to save them?! I laughed out loud. I'm excited to do my part. Thanks for the burst of humor in my day.