Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Coconut spice pork roast


Any pork roast except loin
salt
3-4 whole garlic cloves
2-inch ginger root, peeled and sliced crosswise
4 screw pine leaves or 2 lemongrass stalks, bulbs smashed and stalks tied
several cloves (the spice this time)
chestnuts, if you happen to have a package lingering in your pantry
1 can coconut milk
As many shitake mushrooms and your grocery budget allows
pepper
shelled peas
chopped cilantro
fresh lime juice

Season the pork with salt and then brown on all sides. Place in dutch oven or other roasting pot and add cloves, ginger, and screw pine leaves/lemongrass (I mention lemongrass not because the flavors are interchangeable but because lemongrass is equally harmonious with the other flavors). Stud the top of the pork roast with cloves. Add chestnuts if you have them. I happened to have some left over from the holidays. They're not essential, and I don't recommend substituting with water chestnuts. Pour coconut milk over all and then top with mushrooms and a few cranks of the pepper.

Roast at 350 degrees for about 2 hours or until roast is fully cooked. Fifteen minutes before roast is finished add shelled peas. Garnish with cilantro and give the pot a squeeze of lime before serving.

This is de LISSHH isss. We loved this so much, I think it's the tastiest dish I've made in months.

5 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Sweet bejeebers, woman. I am going to short out my keyboard with all of this drool. And I LOVE that I have a pork roast in the deep freezer--I think we'll make this for CIA night this week.

Swizzies said...

Oh yummmmmm. I'm very envious. That freakin port roast would cost me about 75 here. Sheesh.

Swizzies said...

Um, porK roast. Maybe I have alcohol on the brain already of a Monday...

janeannechovy said...

Mmmmm. I still have that Boston butt (humongous pork shoulder roast) in the freezer. Might just have to try this. Safe bet Number Two will like it, but Number One might turn up his nose. And I even have some chestnuts in the freezer, too!

Adriana Velez said...

Port roast... hmm, that's giving me ideas.

JaneAnne, you WOULD be the one to also have chestnuts hanging about!