Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, April 02, 2007

Hi Honey, have some boiled food


I had higher aspirations for tonight's meal. I was using a recipe from Saveur (as usual), in an article about Sir Terence Conran. He's on his fourth wife. Terence, Henry VIII much? Anyway, you start by simmering a whole chicken with a host of aromatics.* Then you boil down the broth. And because you cooked the chicken with a calf's hoof you can then refrigerate the reduced stock in a decorative dish with some tarragon and voila, a beautiful gelee to go with your chicken. On the side they recommend some potatoes.

I've been waiting for years to make this recipe. The main obstacle was that hoof, which I knew I'd have to order from someone, probably Staubitz, in advance. Well, I don't plan very far in advance and when I called Staubitz this morning they didn't happen to have a hoof just lying around the shop for me. So I decided to try the gelee with Knox gelatin. Off with my head.

It will probably work by the time I check it around 10:00 tonight. As usual, I didn't read the recipe closely until 5:00, when I learned that I would have to cook the chicken for an hour, let it cool in the broth for an hour, reduce the stock for over an hour, and then put it in the refrigerator to set, which would take an additional 2-3 hours. Well, I put it together anyway.

Then I dutifully boiled some finger potatoes.

Since the gelee wouldn't be ready by 8:00 I decided to stir some tarragon into this delectable French mayonnaise we can't stop buying. It made a fine stand-in for the tarragon gelee, and I also used the occasion as an excuse to bring out our trusty jar of Riesling gelee. If a certain president can consider ketchup a vegetable I'm going to count tarragon.



*2 leeks, 4 ribs of celery, 1 carrot, 2 onions with skins, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns. I subbed one of the onions with a shallot and the thyme with marjoram.

4 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

So very inspiring. Love it. I may try it, since I do have easy access to calves' hooves.

Kate said...

Huh. Those look like french-cut green beans. Then again, I don't even know what tarragon is as it doesn't come on my spin-ny spice rack.

Adriana Velez said...

Lucky you, Luisa!

Kate, tarragon is best fresh. I don't think I've ever seen it sold dried. Hmm, maybe if you tried Liberty Heights Fresh next time you're in Salt Lake.

janeannechovy said...

I love how the wonder of food blog synchronicity meant we had the same potatoes.