Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, April 05, 2007

My first seder



Here's my handsome guys all dressed up for the occasion.

Some of you may remember my post on last-year's seder (I know it says "Pork Borbignonne-ish" but scroll down to Part II). We've been attending this cocktail-party-of-a seder for years as a couple. This time the kids were invited. I was a little trepidatious about how Jasper would do at a china-laid table in an art-filled home.



Look at the little angel. Who would guess at the devil that lurks beneath? Lucky for us all this was a tantrum-free evening.

The short story:
matzo ball soup
filet mignon with gravy
steamed asparagus with crumbled hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes
latkes with apple sauce and sour cream
green salad
assorted cheeses
lemon chiffon cake
chocolate mocha torte
macaroons (meregnes, not coconut)
three well-behaved and happy small children
11 adult celebrants
1 broken plate (not by Jasper -- phew!)
0 strangers standing outside the door
0 sightings of prophet Elijah

More on the seder coming soon!

2 comments:

Co said...

Um... we had brisket, roast chicken, kugel, macaroons, etc. Nothing like your event. But we did have the fancy Manishewitz Extra Heavy Malaga wine. (Even were I not been sticking to grape juice, I would not have been able to stomach that degree of sweetness.)

I love where we go for seder (at my college roommates' parents' house). I love that it was my tradition first and when I got together with a Jew, I was able to take her with me for MY Jewish tradition.

So, did Jasper help find the Afikomen? We had a shy 2-year-old find it and she was pretty freaked out by all the attention, but it was cute.

Looks like you all had a very pleasant time. :-)

Adriana Velez said...

No, Jasper didn't find the Afikomen. I'm afraid I did. But it was up on a shelf where the smaller kids couldn't see it! So I called Jasper over and one of the other kids came instead (a 4-year-old). I picked him up and let him pull the Afikomen out, which was still fun.