Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Not Avner's brisket


Ever since watching Munch I haven't been able to get brisket out of my mind (oh yeah, and all those important questions about vengance, justice, etc. as well). I consulted the venerable authority on Jewish cooking, Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food. She has a brisket recipe that includes boiling a marrow bone for a vermacelli soup to be served before the beef. That sounds tasty, and the Coop actually carries beef bones. Some other night.

I also consulted Laurie Colwin's (genuflect) Home Cooking. She has a pot roast recipe with the clever idea of using the roasting vegetables for a sauce. I've tried it, but I don't like the tomato paste and red peppers with the roast beef. But I kept the onion, carrot, and garlic.

brisket or other roasting meat (chuck)
paprika
salt
1-2 large carrots, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
6-8 garlic cloves
2 small sweet potatoes, quartered
1 glass of wine
pepper
beef stock (optional)

Tie up beef and roll in paprika mixed with salt. Brown on all sides before placing in dutch oven (0r other roasting dish with lid). Add vegetables and glass of wine, and crack pepper over all. Roast at 300 degrees for 3-4 hours.

Remove brisket and set aside in serving dish. Mash vegetables and strain. Vegetables can be served this way, or you could thin with beef stock to make a sauce. I didn't get that far because in the middle of straining the vegetables there was a minor medical emergency involving an eyeball.

Oh what heavenly smells filled the apartment this afternoon! In this age of 30-minutes meals there really is something to be said about 4-hour roasts. Jasper liked the vegetables well enough but went crazy over the beef. Once he finished his own serving he reached across the table, grabbed the remaining brisket out of the dish, and took a large bite out of it. We wrestled it out of his hands and talked him into letting us cut off another piece for him instead. Sheesh, you'd think we were starving the kid.

It was a dark, gloomy, rainy day, perfect for brownies. I loved this week's Times article on brownies and tried out the French chocolate brownies recipe. Looking at the batter I was worried it wouldn't be chocolatey enough. I had no reason to hear, however. This brownie really delivers the chocolate in a lighter way than my favorite brownie (scroll down). I want to try the supernatural brownie next.

As I write there is a mouse wandering beneath my chair. Lane waged a battle against the mice in the middle of the night last night and we were hoping he'd won. Looks like the battle shall continue. I should just throw a book at the mice, but the closest ones are my cookbooks and that will not do.

2 comments:

liz said...

I'll take your mouse for my rat any day of the week. ;-)

janeannechovy said...

Mmmmm, dark brown food. Nothing beats it for pure satisfaction.