Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Torta di ricotta



Curses, another blurred image...

Some recipes happen this way: my friend W learned how to make torta di ricotta (ricotta pie) from her Italian friend F. F makes hers with just spinach, puff pastry, and ricotta. But W thought, wouldn't it be even better with a little garlic and sausage? And why don't we throw in some herbs and an egg for a binder while we're at it.

I had W's torta on Tuesday and loved it. Even better, Jasper loved it. Torta is a great way to get kids to eat spinach. When I went to the Coop today I found everything but Italian pork sausage, so I substituted lamb merguez. I also threw in some chopped olives I found in the refrigerator.

By the way, W is not the President of the United States of America. I am not, in fact, friends with the President of the United States of America. We're not even on speaking terms. The W I refer to is a friend in the neighborhood, a mother of a son Jasper's age. Just wanted to clarify any possible confusion there.

Anyway, the recipe for torta:

2 sheets puff pastry
1 bunch spinach
2 or more links sausage
2 garlic cloves, minced
chopped herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, anything that sounds good)
15 oz ricotta
1 egg

Defrost the puff pastry. Meanwhile, steam 1 bunch of spinach. Drain and squeeze as much liquid as possible. Chop spinach. Squeeze out sausage from casings and brown. Drain.

Line deep pie dish with first puff pastry sheet. Combine spinach, sausage, garlic, herbs, ricotta and egg. Add salt and pepper. Fill pie dish and cover with second pastry sheet. Trim to fit and press edges slightly. You may want to brush the top with another egg. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and looks thoroughly cooked.

I meant to add toasted pine nuts as well but forgot. Torta is like lasagne in that, unless you're one of those tradition-bound cooks, you can throw just about anything harmonious into the pie.

Chopin Liszt*

puff pastry
1 bunch spinach
sausage
garlic
herbs (I prefer fresh, but dried will work as well)
15 oz ricotta
eggs

*Yes, that joke again. And I'm going to keep doing it every time I remember to include a shopping list. You want a food blog with dignity, go to Simply Recipes.

2 comments:

Swizzies said...

Okay, I can appreciate a repeat joke, hell, I do 'em myself all the time. But if you're referring to famous-composer-Franz, it's Liszt, not Lizt. And if you're referring to some Lizt that's so above my own weak level of erudition, then please, continue ignoring my ignorance. :-)

Love the ricotta pie...but lamb wha...? I used to really love lamb, but I swear I can't stomach it now. It is SO gamy and strong-tasting here that it gags me. They do it differently here, I'm convinced. Ack.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh how embarassing -- thanks!