Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Adobo grilled chicken and that mango avacado salad you've had 100 times


You know the one I mean, that salad that can go Southwest American or Southeast Asian depending on how you make it. Today I made it with 2 chopped avocados, 2 chopped mangoes, lots of chopped cilantro, and lime juice. I've had it with black beans and corn. It's good with a mild onion, like red orvidalia . Don't we just keep eating various permutations of the same 10 or so salads? But this is one of my favorites. I'll make it again and again.


Did you know that I got my picture on a can of chipotle peppers? I'm going to be the Mexican Rachel Ray. Be on the lookout for my mug on cans of pinto beans and on those plastic market bags.


We basted the chicken with adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers (I reserved the peppers themselves for another time). I scraped out as much of the sauce as I could and then added about 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 minced garlic clove, and some chopped cilantro. This would be great on whole chicken legs for an entree, but tonight we had the sauce on boneless, skinless chicken thighs. We put the grilled chicken directly on tortillas and folded them with some fresh goat cheese instead of the usual sour cream.

Lane loves his corn-on-the-cob Chicano style, smothered in mayonnaise, lime juice, and chili pepper.

We went to the best pirate birthday party this afternoon. Usually kid birthday parties are tests of endurance, but every once in a while some cool parents concoct something that's fun for both the kids and the parents. We were in the park, which helps a lot. They hung up paper parrot and flower decorations from tree branches and spread blankets all over. There were pita sandwiches wrapped in brown paper and string (turkey/avocado and peanut butter/jelly), cheeses with dried fruit, pistachios, jelly beans, a huge platter of Pirate's Booty and Veggie Booty (thar be good), and best of all, fruit salad served in coconut shells.

The kids went on a treasure hunt and found a picnic basket full of gold coins, rubber duckies, and Mardi Gras beads. Then there was pin the pirate on the ship and a pirate tattoo parlor. At the end we had chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting, oh yes. I think what really made the party for Lane and me was the company. The hosts are wonderful, interesting people and have wonderful, interesting friends. Alas, the hosts are moving away at the end of the month.

2 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

What a BUMMER that your friends are moving; they sound like geniuses. Great party!

Yep, that portrait does you justice. Maybe Lane should do something pop-artish with about 100 of them in tribute to you.

Yummy food, as always!

Sylvia said...

I wish someone would explain to me the difference between adobo in the Philippines and elsewhere...it seems to be a generic work nowadays.