Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Baked zucchini fries



Since we had a highbrow food night last night I figured hot dogs were in order tonight. Instead of potato chips, though, I made those baked zucchini fries. They were tasty! I liked how the zucchini flavor was brought out. I know I said I'm not crazy about zucchini, but something about separating the squash from it's usual mushy/slimy texture really made it sing. In the context of just-soft, dry vegetable encased in crunchiness it almost tasted like pumpkin, and the tomato coulis brought out that flavor even more.


A few notes about the recipe: first, I ended up with way more chopped zucchini than egg and bread crumb mixture, so I'm not sure about the proportions. I read somewhere (probably Saveur) that panko (Japanese bread crumbs) makes foods especially light and crispy so that's what I used, to great effect. I added salt to the tomato coulis. And I realized, using my crummy, shipped-from-somewhere tomatoes, that unless you're in the middle of tomato season with the really deep, red ones, you might as well use canned tomatoes. At least they're canned while fresh, so they're 10 times as flavorful as fresh but out-of-season tomatoes.

Speaking of Cookie, their blog is called First Feeding, not Daysitter. Blush. I don't know where I got that other name.

You know, I made an interesting discovery at last night's dinner. If you show up in a nice dress and without your three-year-old the host will give you a very good table instead of leading you to the back of the restaurant, next to the kitchen as usual. Gee, I ought to dine out without Jasper more often...

8 comments:

shaunamama said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I was going to call on Wednesday but time got away from me. I apologize..
HUGS to you, birthday girl!

janeannechovy said...

Baked zucchini fries, hm. How soft was the squash when they were done?

Fresh tomatoes and fresh (shelling) peas are two things I almost never buy. For anything cooked, canned tomatoes are almost always better and more flavorful. And frozen petite peas are always sweet, never starchy. I'm trying to grow some sugar snap peas this year, for the first time since I was a kid. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you ever grow tomatoes? I think I know a great variety for you to try: Gold Nugget. Determinate plant (so no sprawling and no staking), and yet keeps producing throughout the season, the most delicious yellow cherry tomatoes. I think they'd be perfect for container gardening.

Lindsey said...

Yum!!!

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks Shauna! Janeanne, I tried growing tomatoes on my roof a few years in a row and finally gave up -- the critters in the neighborhood kept nibbling at my tomatoes. I guess I could try those wire cages, but somehow I think rats could get around them. They all leave my herbs alone so that's the full extent of my urban agriculture!

janeannechovy said...

Huh, our rats don't seem to care for tomatoes--must be plenty of other things around that they prefer (yes, we have rats, the legacy of an old packrat hermit who used to live down the block and kept a huge pile of old tires in his backyard. When he died and they cleared away the junk, the rats scattered and now make their homes elsewhere in the neighborhood, including in holes they are excavating under my front steps.). The deer really like them, too, but the hoop house does a great job of keeping them out. The raccoons cut a hole in the plastic last year, but I couldn't see where they ate many tomatoes.

There are ways to grow tomatoes hanging upside down, but I've never tried it, and I suppose the rats could figure out a way to get around that, too, abominably clever as they are.

Swizzies said...

Mmm, zucchini fries are GOOD. Although, the link to your baked ones (sound too healthy if ya ask me) is not working for me, so I couldn't check it out.

Didja wear the blue silk dress? Have you worn it at all yet?

Adriana Velez said...

Swizzies, thanks! I fixed the link.

Yes, I wore the blue dress -- for the first time, in fact! Felt like princess the whole time. I love it.

Kate said...

Just wanted to let you know you aren't crazy. You thought Daysitter because the link for the blog is blogs/daysitter.

Thanks for recommending the recipes. I happen to love zucchini but can always use new recipes for it.