Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, May 07, 2007

Chioggia beet and ramp cream cheese smorrebrod


In sifting through past spring recipes I was reminded of the delightful Danish open-face sandwiches, smorrebrod, and of Puddle's ramps cream cheese. Ramps are finally at the Coop! Chioggia beets are milder in flavor than red beets and have a pink and white stirated interior. If you're trying to induce your family to eat beets, these (and golden beets) make a great introduction.

1 pound cream cheese
6-8 ramps, bulbs and lower stems only
4 Chioggia beets, halved and parboiled until just tender
sliced pumpernickle bread
parsley, lemon zest, and kosher or sea salt for garnish

Thinly slice the ramp bulbs and stems crosswise and mix into the cream cheese. This is best done ahead of time (an hour or even a day) so ramps have time to infuse their flavor into the cream cheese. Thinly slice the beets and blot dry. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese over each slice of bread and cover with overlapping slices of beet. Add garnish of parsley leaves, lemon zest, and salt.

I left the leaves whole and the zest long to make a pretty picture, but your sandwich will taste better if you mince the parsley and use a microplaner to zest the lemon.

Here's a picture of the adorable tiny eggplant I bought for last night's failed dinner. What a waste!

3 comments:

puddle said...

Oh, my. I got a hit from your blog, and it reminded me it's been a while (too dang long!). . . Got down as far as Wonder Woman, was going to comment that she and my great Aunt who pulled the hand cart across the plains were prolly the two women who set me on my "hi, I AM WOMAN" course. . . . And then of course the post about handcarts, grin.

Do love your life and your blog!

Luisa Perkins said...

Thanks for the ramp alert! I'll get some on my way to pick up milk today. I love beets; this smorrebrod idea is genius.

Lindsey said...

At least those eggplants are cute!