Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, May 21, 2007

La vida leftovers


I should make this a regular feature. You know the scenario: you open up the cabinet looking for a plastic container, but they're all gone. Where are they? Oh yes, in the refrigerator, harboring the diaspora from meals gone by. Or you wonder what you'll need at the grocery store when you open the refrigerator and are confronted by the abundance of yesteryear.

What do you make of pizza sauce, two different kinds of whole wheat flatbread, plain yogurt, lentil stew, Lebanese walnut/pomegranate stuff, ten slices of mushrooms and five slices of sausage, grilled chicken, zucchini slices, fennel fronds, cilantro, mango chutney, olives, flour tortillas,mozzarella cheese, limes, lemons, salsa, and a hot dog?

This is not the heroic tale I was hoping to tell. I put most of this back into the refrigerator and made zucchini/mushroom/sausage/olive mini-pizzas on flatbread. There was some cooking involved -- I sauteed the zucchini in garlic and olive oil before putting it on the pizza. The sauce was directly from a can with some canned clams added in for a romantic whiff o' the sea.


I suppose the lamentable lentils will have to wait until tomorrow's lunch. Saturday night I tried to make a stew with french green lentils,quinoa, rhubarb, fennel, and a bit of mustard . There were some inspired moments for the most part the lentils took over, as they will. Maybe I'll mix them with the yogurt and the walnut stuff.

What's languishing in your refrigerator?

6 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Far less interesting things, I must say. A little bit of a dried-apricot dressing for an long-ago arugula salad, a tiny bit of blueberry chutney from (I'm not kidding) last summer. Mostly condiments, I'm afraid, and not much that can be whipped up into a meal. The green onions on the verge of descending into slime will join carrots, the tail end of a container of yogurt and most of a bunch of parsley in a couscous salad to go with buffalo burgers for tomorrow's dinner.

Janet M Kincaid said...

I'm afraid to look. Lots and lots of condiments. For some reason, there is an abundance of condiments. And non-alcoholic beverages. And cheese. Many different kinds of cheese.

Hm... Maybe it's time to reassess the fridge in my life...

Luisa Perkins said...

AV, you have awesome leftovers, and those pizzas look scrumptious.

JA, It's a good thing chutney keeps for, like, ever.

Since I have PTSD from having to clean out mold-encrusted Tupperware every few months from my mom's refrigerator when I was a kid, I am a leftovers Nazi.

My fridge is pretty bare right now (except for 12 egg whites leftover from making Daniel's cake). I helps to have a teenager in constant need of snack fodder.

janeannechovy said...

Luisa!!!!! With all those egg whites, you have to make almond macaroons. Go to my blog (Fugue Salad), and look at the bottom of the February archives for "Chewy Nutty Goodness." The actual recipe is in the comments. You won't regret it!

liz said...

leftover Indian take-out. The items on the menu Mike ordered and makes my nose hairs curl.

Judd Corizan said...

Congratulations for your award on The Rising Blogger. It is a brand new site that awards posts, not blogs. Your post from April 27, 2007 called “Mother’s Ilk” won. Since we award posts, not blogs, you might even win again. If you email us your email address we will send you the code of your winning badge. To encourage your readers to comment on your award, it helps if you make the first comment on our post about your blog, yourself. We ask winners to nominate a post favorite of a fellow blogger. Call it “paying it forward”. Neither is a requirement. You have won this award because we truly feel you deserve it. Great post, good job!