Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, May 17, 2007

My blue heaven


I chose Blue Hill for my birthday dinner because it's a restaurant that focuses on local, seasonal food. There is a second restaurant on a working farm up the Hudson, and much of the food for both restaurants comes from the farm. I figured the food would be simple but good, but I'm happy to report that Blue Hill surpassed my expectations. It was fantastic.

We chose the tasting menu and started with some beet and grapefruit infusion in one shot glass, and carrot soup in another. The beet and grapefruit combination was spectacular, so I'm going to have to come up with something with those to flavors together one of these days.

Next was a dayboat scallop on bib lettuce with herb vinaigrette. The scallop was perfectly done, of course. The vinaigrette had preserved lemon, capers, and tarragon -- pure joy. Next hake in a rhubarb, tapioca, and fennel soup -- rhubarb and fennel is another combination I'll have to experiment with in the kitchen.

The meat course was pork with basmati, baby asparagus, ramps, and lardons. Usually if I cook meat correctly it is juicy for the first few chews, but dries quickly for the last few chews. I'm still learning. This pork stayed luscious and juicy all the way through. It as tender and almost velvety -- I don't know how they did it. We ate this course in silence.


We next had a palate cleanser of a dessert made of fromage blanc sorbet over pomegranate granitee and poached rhubarb. Light and intense at the same time. Then we were served steamed cheesecake in sweet little mason jars. Chocolate, caramel, peanuts and some sort of special salt topped the cheesecakes. Coconut-coated marshmallows accompanied the bill.

Marvelous food in a tasteful, intimately-lit space -- if you're ever in New York and have too much money on your hands I recommend you spend it here. Well, if you worship food, anyway.

Before dinner we attended an art auction to benefit the Rema Hort Mann Foundation. The Hort family started this foundation after their daughter Rema, an inspiring force for good in the world, died of stomach cancer. The foundation provides grants to emerging artists and provides quality of life grants for families of cancer patients. Lane was an art grant recipient years ago. In the fall the foundation raises funds through art tours. (Lane often leads one of the tours.) Again, if you happen to have too much money on your hands and live in the New York area contact the foundation and they can put you on their mailing list.

3 comments:

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks, everyone, for the kind birthday wishes!

Happy birthday to Liz, and happy belated birthday (well, your birthday does last all week!) to Janet.

Tania said...

You share a birthday with Jane - I hadn't realized that. We went to Blue HIll (up here) for our anniversary last November - AMAZING. I want to go in each season so I can get to try a whole range of what they offer.

Luisa Perkins said...

Blue Hill at Stone Barns is near us (about a half hour south)! We've been dying to try it, but the last time I tried to get a reso, I got snubbed pretty fiercely for daring to presume. But we'll try again another time.

Thanks for the luscious descriptions. Those are the kinds of details I love to pass on when I've had a similarly ethereal experience.