Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Roschti


I know only Swizzies and Dr. Lala are going to care, but I found roschti! Roschti is a Swiss potato dish, kind of like a giant latke (potato pancake). The way it's packaged I couldn't really make it properly because it calls for a non-stick pan and I don't have one of those. For some reason an oiled pan wouldn't do the trick. Oh well, still good.

I also made one of my favorite stand-by dishes, the tarragon chicken* from Saveur. And because I was tired, out of space, and still had a lot of work to do I microwaved our asparagus. Yes, it's true. And the shocking thing is they turned out just fine. I cooked them at half power -- that's the secret.

I also made a batch of cupcakes using a mix from a box. Yes! I didn't think I was capable of doing that but apparently I am. Who knows to what depths I'll dive next! Can H@mburger H*elper be too far behind? What is happening to me? WHO AM I, ANYWAY???

I'm wiped out from preparing for a party for Jasper's class. More details to follow.

*Paraphrasing: Brown chicken (half a chicken, more or less, in pieces) seasoned with salt and pepper in a little olive oil and butter, turn, and lower heat. Add two sprigs of tarragon and cover. Meanwhile mince two sprigs of tarragon and poach two more sprigs. Cook the chicken until done.

Remove the chicken and keep warm. Drain fat from pan. Add about 1/4 cup white wine and scrape up the crisped bits, then add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Reduce about five minutes. Then strain into a cup, wipe out pan, and add back to pan, this time adding a tablespoon or more of butter and the chopped tarragon. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with poached tarragon sprigs as garnish.


3 comments:

Janet M Kincaid said...

Hilarious! I just cooked up a pan of roschti on Friday night!!! I think that same package is still in my recycling bin downstairs! I'm able to get it at the German Gourmet Deli in Falls Church. You can order directly from them, too, just in case you're in the market for more...

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, I care. I guess you don't know that Patrick is half Swiss. His mom is from Lausanne, though, so she spells it 'rosti.' However you spell it, rosti is deLICious. I'll have to look for that mix....

janeannechovy said...

Cook's Illustrated had a recipe in their March/April issue--I'll e-mail it to you.