Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, May 24, 2007

You like me, you really really like me!

Or at least someone does. I was awarded post of the day by The Rising Blogger. This is a fun blog that highlights a new interesting post every day. I see it as the Utne Reader of the web. Thanks, Judd! Today's post on who cares about celebrities looks great, so I'll keep reading.

No recipe again today, sorry! I had myself an escape night in the big city -- I attended a conversation between Rebecca Mead and Henry Alford on Mead's first book, One Perfect Day. As I've mentioned before I love Mead's peices in the New Yorker and I'm excited to dive into her new book. (Henry Alford was hilarious, by the way.) It's been compared to Jessica Mitford's The American Way of Death, but it seems less in the tradition of muckraking (though she certainly points out how the wedding industry exploits brides- and grooms-to-be) and more an examination of the American wedding industry as a lens for understanding American culture in general. (Sorry about all the Amazon links -- they're the easiest and I'm tired.)

I left the New York Public Library and wandered into Times Square for a hot dog, my hunger insurance policy (4:00 ice cream bar) having failed me. It's Fleet Week, so there were sailors everywhere! I hummed "New York New York" from On the Town. Then I went to T*ys R Us.

I never thought I'd ever love anyone enough to willingly step into the Times Square T*us R Us. But Jasper's latest obsession is Hawkgirl and I'm having trouble finding one anywhere. I finally resorted to bidding on e-bay, but lost last night to a higher bidder (six bucks, curses!). The TRU in Times Square has a giant ferris wheel. I didn't take a ride and they didn't have Hawkgirl. The horror!

(Hawkgirl, by the way, is getting embarrassing. Jasper tells anyone who will listen that he wants a Hawkgirl, but it comes out sounding like "hot girl," as in, "I want a hot girl." "I want a hot girl, too!" said a dad friend of ours.)

Anyway, I came home to my hot boys, now both asleep on my bed. But good news -- the second Hawkgirl I bid on came through unchallenged, this time for even less. Mine for the price of $2.50! It's been a great night.

4 comments:

shaunamama said...

Glad you won the auction. I was going to offer to find you one here.
Give that super cutie a hug for me!

Luisa Perkins said...

Any escape night is good, but that one sounds great! Except for the TRU part, but I guess we all need some horror to help us appreciate the good.

Hot girl. Snicker.

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh--and you already know how pleased I am about your RB award. Good job!

janeannechovy said...

Congrats on the award, A, and I'm with Luisa snickering about "hot girl." I told my mom, and she snickered too. :)