Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Anything but food week


A few years ago Lane and I took a trip to England. After a few days in London we stayed at the house of a friend near Cambridge. I was on edge at the time, tense and uncomfortable. The first thing I did when I arrived at our friend's house was grab some garlic, a little oil, some tomatoes, ground beef, a few herbs (probably dried) and some pasta. I cooked up a pot of the same spaghetti I'd made dozens of times at home in Brooklyn. And that soothed my travelling blues. I'd become homesick for my own cooking.

Well, lately I've become just plain sick of my own cooking.

I can't bring myself to grab the same garlic, the same oil, the same tomatoes and ground beef. I'm uninspired by the same offerings at the Food Coop, even through summer is just starting to bring her bounty. It's the same bounty she brings to the Coop every single June. I need some new inspiration, a new setting.

Lately all I can think about is the summer we are about to spend in California. It's not just the logistics that occupy my mind -- what toys to bring? How soon will my rooftop garden die? How will Netflix find us? I'm also exitced about grocery shopping and cooking in a different location. I'll be within walking distance of a fantastic farmer's market, a gorgeous butcher/seafood shop, and Trader Joe's (which is new to me). We'll be in a completely different landscape with different smells and different aesthetics. I need this fresh start.

In the meantime, we're living on garbage pail salads, fried eggs, turkey sandwiches and the like. I'm not going to write about this. Instead, I'm spending the next week and a half posting about anything but food. And since we're moving to the Bay Area, let's start with movies set in San Francisco: my two favorites are "What's Up Doc?" and "So I Married an Ax Murderer."

What are yours?

8 comments:

Janet M Kincaid said...

American Graffiti
Sneakers
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

As for food in California, did I recommend Ti Couz to you guys?

Also, as you venture around, make a day trip of going to Point Reyes Station up in Marin County (just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.) There you'll find a lovely little co-op that includes Cow Girl Creamery and some of the finest cheeses in the country.

And don't discount your local Safeway as a source of good produce. Believe it or not, you'll actually find stuff there that is better than produce in Whole Foods on the east coast.

I'm so envious you're going to California... And yet, so thrilled for you! You're gonna love it! Be sure to send postards. Oh, and don't forget to pack sweatshirts and windbreakers. It can be chilly in San Francisco during the summer.

Kara said...

Oh, I can relate about being sick of your own cooking. With three little food critics running around this house, the part of the day I used to enjoy most (planning a meal) has become the one I dread. Still what a fun thing to look forward to. I haven't spent enough of my life in San Francisco, I've decided. Have a wonderful trip!

Luisa Perkins said...

What's Up, Doc?
Sneakers
The Rock (guilty pleasure featuring Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery)

I'm sure I'll think of more the second I hit 'Publish.'

Janet's recommendations are excellent!

I loved living in SF when I was 19! The only kitchen equipment I had was a wok and an antique Oster blender, but I managed to do quite a lot with them.

My favorite food spots in SF: Golden Boy Pizza on Green Street; Henry's Hunan Restaurant on Sansome; BurgerMeister on Church Street. Of course, these are based on a teenager's budget and palate, but P and I have been back to Golden Boy and Henry's recently, and they are still outstanding.

If you can, make the pilgrimage to Chez Panisse. I've only been there twice (once for my 19th birthday, another time 18 years later), but it exceeds the legend. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Have a wonderful time! (You ARE coming back, right?)

Hevansrich said...

My favorite bay area movie is FOUL PLAY with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. I love the Barry Manilow soundtrack and the whole murder mystery aspect - gorgeous scenery too. remember to "beware the dwarf!"...
and of course having a daughter named Harriet I cannot but love So I Married an Axe Murderer...
"Harriet, sweet Harriet, hardhearted harbinger or haggis.." (and again! sort of a murder mystery!)

I also recently saw Zodiac about the serial killer and thought it was well done (more murder and mystery but true life) bonus: Mark Ruffalo!

have a great summer, and if you decide to swing south to Disneyland, come on by for a visit!

Adriana Velez said...

Janet, yes, I'd heard you and the other SFH rave about Ti Couz so we went last year. Fantastic, though so crowded! Thanks for the tip on Safeway. I'll be sure to send postcards!

Luisa, we'll have to check out those spots. We're going to try to celebrate our wedding anniversary at Chez Panisse while Lane's parents are visiting (free babysitting -- er, we're also excited to see you soon, Bob and Mary!)

Yes, we're coming back in the fall. Sigh.

Sheri said...

Yes, California foods will treat you right (until you get sick of them too). Oh well, come enjoy.

As far as SF movies, I will unabashedly tout Ed TV. Heh, heh. I liked that silly movie (because I have a crush on Woody Harrelson, even in that little silk robe).

ME said...

I second The Rock and Zodiac and will throw in sappy chick flick Sweet November. (Janet took me to the park where they filmed some scenes--and I think the opening credits of Full House).

I predict the following: Trader Joe's will grow on you--even if you have shop elsewhere for some ingredients and exotic produce. You'll learn how to time a visit to Ti Couz to avoid the worst crowding. You'll have an amazing time!

Robyn lived in SF and knows some great places to eat/shop/visit.

Mary Ellen

hippittee said...

Can't say I have a favorite san fran movie to add to those already listed...but the city has crossed my path a couple of times since ready your post...

Hearing Tony Bennett - live - sing "I left my heart in SF"...hope I'm half as spunky at 80 (hell, wish I were half that spunky NOW).

And while blog trolling, came across this site: http://www.7x7sf.com If you ready mightygoods, this will be old news to you...

Hope you and the family have a grand time in the city by the bay.

Jill