Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Shhh, the rice salad is sleeping


But Jasper is not. I am sitting up with him, watching Pee Wee's Adventure, which is a lot darker than I remember it being when I was a kid.

rice salad

1 cup rice mix
2-4 T olive oil
2 cups water
salt
1 T olive tapenade, or chopped olives
1 cup diced zucchini
1/4 cup toasted and chopped pistachios
1/4 cup chopped smoked salmon
juice of one lemon

I picked up a rice mix at Trader Joe's. It's made with basmati, wild rice, dried carrots, onions, and other veggies. I browned it in some oil (about 2 T) before cooking it in water. Then I added some olive tapenade. I wanted to use those zucchinis from Segona's but I didn't want them to be slimy, so I diced tiny and cooked them in a cast iron pan for just a minute until they were barely soft. I stirred them into the rice, added a little more olive oile, and put the dish in the refrigerator. When it cooled I added the rest of the ingredients.

Tomorrow we're going into San Francisco. I'll try to remember the camera so I can post on our adventures.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

I love that rice mix! We use it all the time to make pilaf with toasted orzo. Yum!

Have fun in San Fran.