Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Sigonas therapy

Lane is here to work on a comission and his next gallery show and I am here to buy food and cook it. I've been looking forward to Sigona's Market for months and I finally got the chance to ride over on the bike today. Sigona's is an outdoor produce market with an indoor market selling fresh pastas, bins of dried fruit and nuts, and lots of other fun specialty foods. Much of their produce is local.


Like these sweet strawberries. These quail eggs were just $1.50. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. I've already broken one.


These funny little squashes are also local as are these pluots Jasper picked out. Just so you know, they're all for him. He's not sharing with us.


Look, crimson corn! Isn't it pretty?


Sigona's bottles imported barrel-aged, 12-year balsamic vinegar. I bought the $5.99 bottle and the $15.99 bottle. What's the difference? I did a taste test and I'm still not quite sure. The more expensive bottle had a slightly more complex flavor while the cheaper bottle was a wee bit fruitier and sweeter. But these differences were quite subtle as far as I could tell. Maybe I need to have more balsamic this summer in order to better inform my palate. Yeah, I think I'd better have a lot of balsamic this summer.

For dinner we had rib eye steaks marinated in balsamic and rosemary. I got the recipe from D&R's cookbook, Barbecue, A selection of delicious sizzlers, by Lorraine Turner and Linda Doeser. The recipe is actually for lamb, but what's good for the lamb ain't bad for the cow.

3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper

Sprinkle meat with onions and rosemary. Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over meat. Cover with plastic and let marinate for a couple of hours.

Drain and reserve the marinade before grilling, then brush frequently with the marinade while you cook. While the meat rested (after being cooked) I took the onions and rosemary from the marinade and caramelized it for a sort of relish.


I'm proud to annouce that I grilled the steaks myself. (Lane usually does the grilling.) True, I did singe the hairs off my right arm lighting the grill, but the steaks turned out perfectly.

3 comments:

Swizzies said...

Duuuude...looks awesome! Lovin the Cal perspective, without actually having to be there. ;-)

What's up with the US Forest Service logo on your plate??

Luisa Perkins said...

LOVE it. Pluots. I'm so jealous.

Adriana Velez said...

Doug y Rebecca have this whole set of Forest Service plates. Love them! I think one of Doug's relatives worked for the FS or something like that.