Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, July 16, 2007

Barbecued pork loin


That's right, BAR BE Q. Perhaps you, like me, are vaguely aware of the difference between barbecuing and grilling. Grilling is when you flop something onto the grill and then walk away to make a salad or have some lemonade. Later on you take the something off and eat it.

Barbecuing, on the other hand, requires more work. There's the before thing, involving a marinade or a dry rub, and then there's the stuff you "mop" onto your meat while you cook it, and the sauce afterwards, and perhaps an incantation or two. Anway, I was reading an article on barbecuing in the June Sunset Magazine* (West Coast edition) and decided to give it a try.

Before I'd read the article I'd already started marinating the pork loin in olive oil and fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, marjoram). Before putting the meat on I rubbed in paprika and salt. I browned the meat on both sides on high heat before turning the gas down to low. Then I spent some time mopping my meat with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar (the good stuff), and minced herbs. When it seemed done (someone turned the meat thermometer into a space ship and carried it elsewhere) I covered it and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Good, but I'll have to give their sage pork loin a try sometime.


I also made a salad of baby spinach, painstakingly-peeled fava beans, toasted and crushed pistachios, and a dressing of lemon, olive oil, and honey. Now I need is some chocolate cake. But sadly, there is none around and we do not live in New York, where one could pop outdoors and find chocolate cake at a nearby obliging cafe within minutes.


In other news, Luisa at Novembrance (see #4) has delclared me a Girl Who Rocks. This may be the only time I am ever referred to as a Girl Who Does Anything Remotely Near Rocking, so let us savor it. And now, I am nominating five other women I know who also happen to Rock. I know more than five, but five is the magic number so if I do not name you know that you are named in my head. Here they go: JaneAnne at Fugue Salad, Janet at DC Rushhour, Swizzy, Rio Grade Valley Girl, and Tickle the Pear.

Sunset Magazine -- last time I saw the magazine it was hopelessly dorky, like Better Homes & Gardens. And then all of a sudden everyone was talking about it. So I looked through Doug and Rebecca's copies and was amazed at how hip it's become -- all while keeping that adorable typeface for the title. Now I want to get a subscription of my own, even though I live in Brooklyn, as Lane keeps reminding me. Speaking of which, this perfect apartment is still available and it was built for us, obviously. Only problem is WE DON'T LIVE HERE OR HAVE JOBS. How do I finagle this? And is there a reason why it's so cheap? Are the schools in Oakland that bad?

13 comments:

Hevansrich said...

in the ten years since i've been married (minus the three we lived overseas) my in-laws have gifted me a subscription of Sunset magazine - and although I have not the time/talent/resources to currently take advantage of all of the cooking/gardening/travel advice and exploits the magazine offers, I have often enjoyed its devotion and adoration of West Coast living. I've learned more from it about small space gardening and the whole state of Oregon than I have from any other source. When you started your CA adventure blog addition I briefly considered suggesting you check it out, but quickly dismissed the thought thinking it may not be your taste - but I'm glad you gave it a shout out in your blog! also I'm enjoying your West Coast travelogue very much and wanted to ask - is that you sea kayaking near those rocks and sea creatures in the Monterey heading photo? v.v. cool....

janeannechovy said...

Hey, thanks! I've always thought I was kinda rockin', but most folks can't see past the square outsides.

That condo is the bomb.

Janet M Kincaid said...

I rock! Cool! I can live with that. Of course, it takes a rocker to know a rocker. I've always thought you totally rocked, too! Thanks for the call out. And the loin and the salad looked divine!

For chocolate cake, try Molly Stones. Or, if you're up in San Francisco again any time soon, check out Citizen Cake

ME said...

I love Sunset magazine. I built a round brick patio one year for my birthday using plans featured in Sunset. I have stacks of old issues I lugged here and snagged my mom's discarded Sunset cookbooks.

That condo is AMAZING. How attached are you to life in NYC? Because it seems like you've gone past flirting with CA; looking at CA real estate = heavy petting. Face it: you've been seduced.

Thanks for the rocking vote. :)

ME

Luisa Perkins said...

Really? Sunset is hip now? When I was growing up in CA, only grandmas read it. Cool.

Mmmmm, pork. Maybe I'll dig me out a loin from the deep freeze.

I've always thought you rocked, from the minute I met you. So glad I could make it official.

I made the Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Cream Pie on Sunday--talk about rockin.' Email me if you want a copy of the recipe.

janeannechovy said...

But isn't that a pork tenderloin? The loins I've had have all been much, much bigger. Not that it makes much of a difference in taste. Mmmm, pig.

Sylvia said...

Thanks, chica!

Janet M Kincaid said...

P.S. It isn't that the schools in Oakland are that bad. It's that Oakland itself can be really sketchy.

Still, if you can get past that, Oakland has some of the best weather in the Bay Area. It gets just enough fog to stay cool, but rarely gets socked in and it's never really, really hot like other cities surrounding the bay. I actually wouldn't mind living in Oakland / Piedmont / Alameda.

Oh, and speaking of Oakland and Piedmont, you have to check out Rick and Ann's and have their red flannel hash. It's quite yummy. R&A's is up near the Claremont Hotel in the hills on Hwy. 24. Ask any local. They should be able to tell you how to get there. (Or email me and I'll tell you.)

Lindsey said...

Oh....yummy. We have been eating pork tenderloin at least once a week. While you are there, try out the pre-marinated pork loins from Trader Joe's. They are a little spicy, but my kids love it, I love it, the husband loves it. Even if I accidentally over cook them, they still taste great--not at all dry. And they are only $4.99/lb!!

Adriana Velez said...

Oh, I know, serious flirtation, but we're not moving to California! And the elementary school in that condo's neighborhood is abysmal. Whoa, that's a school in trouble.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh yeah, and that's not me kayaking in Monterey. I wish! Maybe next time.

Hevansrich said...

hey, never say never to a neighborhood just cuz of the schools, home-schooling is very en vogue these days.....(okay, I'd NEVER homeschool, i can say that)

Swizzies said...

Belated thanks for the rocking thing! I was on holiday, or I would have appreciated the rocky-ness before. :-)

I totally grew up my whole life with Sunset magazine, it reminds me of being a Cali kid of Cali parents and grandparents. Sniffle.

But I ain't moving back there.