Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, July 20, 2007

Chorizo quesadillas


I've posted on the Mexican-style spiced raw sausage, chorizo, before. Schaub's makes some of their own so I decided to try it out. (Sure wish I could find queso blanco somewhere nearby, too, but I'll probably have to go to Redwood City or East Palo Alto for that.) Theirs is called, for some reason, "Basque." It's good with its hint of cinnamon and allspice. I wish it had a bit more smoke and heat, but overall I liked it.

We're in love with Primavera's beautifully thick hand-made corn tortillas. I can't find decent corn tortillas anywhere in New York, unless I drive all the way to one of the factories near Williamsburg. Maybe I'll bring a few packages of these home with me to keep in the freezer.

Slice open sausage casings and squeeze chorizo into hot pan. Add about 1/4 cup chopped onion. Break up sausage with side of wooden spoon and cook, stirring, until done. Drain and set aside. Grate about 1 cup cheese (preferably queso blanco, if not then jack or cheddar). Place corn tortilla on hot griddle, cover with some cheese, and then with a layer of sausage. Cover with tortilla. Grill until cheese is melted and bottom tortilla is toasted.

Here's the tricky part -- but if I can do it, so can you. Place one spatula under the quesadilla and then another spatula on top of the quesadilla. Flip, keeping the second spatula over the quesadilla to hold it together. Cook until toasted on the second side.

Serve with fresh guacamole. This will make a mountain, but you love guacamole, don't you?

1/4 red or vidalia onion, diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
juice of 2 limes
4 avocados
salt to taste
chopped tomatoes if you insist
1 minced jalapeno if you don't have kids

Mince the cilantro and combined with the onion and lime juice in a bowl. Smash together with a fork (unless you have a molcajeta), then add the avocado and continue smashing fork until desired smoothness. Add salt, tomatoes, and jalapenos.

For more on Primavera and the search for perfect corn tortillas read this article from the San Francisco Gate.

Jasper had a chicken quesadilla with green tomatoes.


On a completely different topic, I was reminded of how early girls start their little exclusionary games this afternoon. We ran into a four-year-old and a five-year-old at the playground. At first they were friendly. Then Jasper did something to annoy them and they stalked off. "Don't follow us this time!" they said. Fair enough. I explained to Jasper that that's what happens when you bug people.

A few minutes later they returned to a whale-shaped slide. Jasper ran over to join them. Miss Five told him, "you can have a turn after I go." But she and Four managed to scamper up and down the whale so rapidly that Jasper never got a chance. This would have seemed innocent enough had Five not said to Jasper, "Gee, we're going so many times you don't ever get a chance. Hmmm." Years of growing up with other girls flashed into my mind and I saw red.

Oh I know, they're just learning. For whatever reason girls are more socially sophisticated than boys are, and they start experimenting with manipulating social situations earlier. Can I exclude that person? What happens if I do? Later they learn that they can hurt feelings and for some that's an irresistible experiment that comes with a real power trip. Ugh! I hate it. At least he's a boy. As for the slide incident, that guileless little guy wasn't even aware of what was going on and didn't care that he couldn't slide.

4 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Grrrrr. Those little meanies. I hate that.

There's never enough guacamole! And I'm very jealous of your tortilla access.

Luisa Perkins said...

Hey, did you feel the quake this morning? Or did you sleep right through it?

Adriana Velez said...

No -- quake? I slept right through it.

Janet M Kincaid said...

I'm sorry, but where were these girls' mother(s) in all of this? Ugh. I never understood that kind of petty b*llsh*t behavior when I was a little girl and I still don't get it. It's stupid and unnecessary.