Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, July 27, 2007

The Devil wears Prada but St. Michael wears Oscar de la Renta


Saw the extremely tasteful (yawn) Nan Kempner show at the de Young this afternoon. No really, lovely gowns. Truly. Oscar, Yves Saint Laurent, and Dior on their best behavior. Sure, she was a renegade who apparently was the first to wear couture with jeans. But you won't see that combination in this show. (I did love this opera cloak, though.)

Even the establishment has to follow rules.

We got home and what's on HBO but the perfect counter piece, The Devil Wears Prada. Sure the plot and characters are annoyingly unrealistic. True, executives at Miranda's level do expect and exceptional level of service from their employees and the amount of pressure on them may make them cranky (where the rest of us have to curb our crankiness to save our jobs). But I challenge anyone to tell me about a boss who makes her assistant do her kids' science project. And that boyfriend -- as an aspiring chef he would have been peeling potatoes from 2 p.m. until 2 a.m. and wouldn't be home long enough to notice how much his girlfriend works, let alone to pout about it. Way to be supportive of your woman! Whiny little baby. And that gallery friend? Please. She would not be curating out of college, she'd be the girl behind the desk if she's lucky. And she'd be an even bigger glamazon. That bit with Miranda's divorce makes my nostrils flare.

But I'm getting sidetracked. No, my favorite part is the Patricia Field. I'm sure she drove real fashionistas crazy for the same reasons the chef and gallerist storylines bug me. But I love her exaggerated, Hollywood fashion. There's a bit of Nan's couture with jeans... times 100 and with some crazy beads thrown in. No one dresses like that. But who cares? It's good for the movies.

And maybe some of us should dress like that. There has to be some benefit to not being part of the establishment.

2 comments:

Adriana Velez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luisa Perkins said...

Yes, the movie was goofy, and I didn't buy the sous chef boyfriend on many levels. But some of my compadres when I worked as an admin at a giant Manhattan investment bank were doing ridiculously personal things for their analysts. Thank heaven my boss kept within appropriate boundaries.

LOVE that cloak. And if I had the money, I'd dress like Inara on Firefly, no matter what anyone thought.