Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Grilled oysters


We had some friends over to grill oysters. Ordinarily I prefer mine raw, but Jamie mentioned the idea and said he'd make some tomatillo salsa. And doesn't it make sense to eat raw oysters in the cold and cooked oysters when it's hot out?

Jamie placed the oysters on the grill like upright bowls (as shown above) and cooked them a few at a time until they opened.


He held them in one hand with a dishtowel and pried them open with a knife in the other hand (they're hot and you don't want to lose the liquid). Then we topped the oysters with the salsa and slurped them down. They should be eaten immediately.


Jamie also made a salad of fava beans, tomatoes, garlic and a grain -- gah, I can't remember the name. Not wheat berry, not quinoa, not kamut, not kashi, not couscous, not barley, not bulgur. Any guesses? I'll find out. The dressing has more garlic in a red wine and olive oil vinaigrette. I made a green salad with herbs.


Earlier I'd braised some beef shank cuts in chicken stock and wine with onion, oregano, and coriander for little tacos. They didn't quite go with the oysters and salads, but still good. I served the beef with some spicy pepper and onion relish from Harry and David that Tiffany brought me.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I think that Pepper and Onion Relish is the stuff that makes the most more-ish dip ever when mixed with 8 oz of cream cheese. There was a time a few years ago when my family was buying that stuff by the case at the H&D's outlets.

Luisa Perkins said...

Yum. I love oysters. We grilled some shrimp for the first time the other day, and they were outstanding.

Was it spelt? The grain, I mean?

shaunamama said...

These sound too good to pass up! Yum!