Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, August 10, 2007

Keeping it simple


Did I tell you I paid $18.00 for a chicken? It was a free-range bird from Hain Ranch (via Eating with the Seasons) and I'm fairly certain the price covers pre-slaughter counselling for the chickens. Dang, makes me miss the $7.00 Murray's chickens at the Park Slope Food Coop.

Well, what do you do with an 18-dollar chicken? You treat it real nice-like. You poach it with some friends, a bay leaf, some fresh herbs, part of an onion, part of a lemon, and some freshly-dug red potatoes. A little over an hour should do it if you keep the water at what the French call a whisper.


Skim off any foam that forms at the top. When the chicken is done, remove it to a plate and cover with a damp cloth. Put the potatoes in a bowl and sprinkle with kosher salt. (Shrouded in secrecy -- exciting!)


Then use the poaching liquid to cook some super-long romano beans until they're tender. Now you have some flavorful chicken stock to use another day.


I tried to make some lemon-garlic aolli, but for some reason I couldn't get it to thicken. Did I forget to make the usual offering to Demeter before I started? Or was it because I didn't have any regular mayonnaise to use as a starter? I served the foamy stuff anyway as a sauce.

Here is Jasper, pouting because I'm cooking instead of playing with him. Why does Mommy love cooking more than me?

3 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Oooh, did you get the liver with that chicken? There's nothing better than chopped liver made with free-range, well-counseled livers.

Liz said...

ugh i LOVE his hair! total rock star.

shaunamama said...

Yummy food pics. The recipes sound delish as always. Jasper is really growing up. He looks so much older in that photo. ~sigh~ how time flies.