Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Red, white and green

I got a little greedy with the CSA. I ordered the "big" bag, which they recommend for vegetarians and large families. But I do a lot of cooking, I said. Meanwhile, the lovely chioggia beets have been mocking me from the refrigerator all week.


There they are. No wonder I was intimidated. I figured it out, though. A citrusy raw beet salad. And because I went a little crazy at Trader Joe's the other day (yes, Lindsey, I got the couscous/chickpea/everything mix!) we had it with their Cuban black beans, dressed up with extra onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and their scrumptious garlic fries. The meal made me feel so cozy.


Earlier today I was craving something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Something fresh, sweet, maybe even green. It wasn't until I picked up today's CSA order that I realized what it was: fresh-picked kiwi. Did you even know they grow it in California? Jasper ate four all at once. I'm expecting an explosion any moment now.

3 comments:

Swizzies said...

Mmm, love beets. Don't like kiwis though. Go Jasper!

Also, Jasper might want to hold off on missing Brooklyn until the flood waters recede and the city isn't a huge cluster anymore. :-)

Luisa Perkins said...

Lucky girl!

I had a kiwi that actually tasted like a kiwi for the first time in years. And melon that tasted like melon. And the best pineapple ever. There's nothing better than good fruit, and nothing more disappointing than bad.

janeannechovy said...

Kiwis grow in Oregon, too! And they store well for a long time, so we were getting fresh local kiwis through April. Awesome, since both boys love them more than almost any other fruit except strawberries.