Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, August 13, 2007

We were tourists, once


Wouldn't you hate to live on Lombard Street? Love those hydrangeas, though.


All right all right, the haircut. You can't see it very well in this picture, but there it is. Why on earth did I leave my sunglasses on for this picture? Can't someone follow me around to remind me about these things? Where's my personal handler? Lane got a haircut, too. Doesn't he look nice?


We spent the afternoon at the Bay Area Discovery Museum, which was fantastic. Jasper's head nearly exploded he loved it so much. He kept pretending we were all scientists, which made my Grinch's heart grow two sizes larger. I also love how much of the museum is outdoors.

At the end of the day we met some friends for dinner. They'd suggested something in North Beach, which to my ears sounded like the equivalent of New York's Little Italy. We got there first so it was up to us to pick the restaurant. We thought about going here.


But we kept looking. We passed one "cute" Italian restaurant after another -- oh look, there's Michelangelo's, isn't that supposed to be famous? -- but they all looked exactly the same. And then we found thoroughly-modern Panta Rei. Suddenly we have dismounted our Ducatti and are sauntering into the disco! Ciao, baby. This is also slightly-cheesy Euro, but a much more palatable type. Italians lined the bar and the dining room was filled with the young and the stylish.

Our friends were running late, so we enjoyed a Campari (me) and mojito (Lane) at the bar. Jasper, who was famished, ate almost his entire adult-sized portion of tre paste (penne, ravioli, and soft, pillowy gnocchi). Lane had some sort of green ravioli stuffed with seafood and covered in an asparagus sauce. I had simple fettuchini with wild boar ragu. I could have done without all the birthday serenading, but overall we loved the place.

That was Saturday. Sunday I attempted zucchini potstickers, which were not successful. This time it was not the fault of the zucchini but rather the texture of my improvised filling. Sigh, fine, next time I'll try and follow a recipe.

4 comments:

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

What is that in the background? Oh. Right. The Golden Gate Bridge and the City. Huh. ;-)

Seriously, though, you guys look like you're having a MARVELOUS time. Are you sure you want to go back to Brooklyn?

shaunamama said...

LOVE the haircut(s)! Cute cute cute!

Adriana Velez said...

Yes! The city mice long to leave the suburbs.

Luisa Perkins said...

Cute hair! You've inspired me. I'd be thrilled to resemble Elastigirl.