Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, August 02, 2007

What to do with the zucchini?

By now many of us are in the throes of the summer squash bounty. There's so much of it out there... and it's not quite my favorite vegetable. It's watery and has a tendency to go squishy and slimy. I hate ratatouille (loved the movie though). And yet, I am obsessed with the challenge of making zucchini delicious.

The challenge is two fold, actually: bring out the squash flavor of zucchini rather than hide it and make the texture more palatable. The reigning favorites remain this and this, but I shall continue experimenting.



I made these little "zucch monsieurs," grilled cheese sandwiches with fresh mozzarella, slices of tomato, and a basil leaf. They were tasty, if a little soggy.

Then I thought, why not bring out the watery-ness of zucchini and make it a sauce? So I boiled some chopped zucchini and combined it with garlic and browned ground beef for pasta. (We used that dippy moose-head pasta from Ikea.) Squash flavor, check, texture, check.



Meanwhile, I've joined a new CSA. Eating With the Seasons combines a few different farms, including a grass-fed beef ranch. Yes! Finally, Park Slope Food Coop prices for the holy meat. And since they have produce from a few different farms you actually get to choose what you get in your order each week. Is it too big for a real CSA? Will I still get the same good vibrations? And what will I do with the refrigerator full of vegetables I ordered? Stay tuned.

2 comments:

janeannechovy said...

I made a great pasta-with-summer-squash the other night from Cook's (of course). I'll post the recipe (it's a winner, even with the kids).

Luisa Perkins said...

Yay! Once you've had grass-fed beef, you can't go back.