Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, September 24, 2007

Is it too early for soup?


Jasper came home from a dinner playdate raving about this soup. I asked his friend's mom for the recipe and so here it is. I like it, too. It strikes me as a nice summer-into-fall transition soup.

From A Good Day for Soup

3 T butter
1 leek, white part only, thoroughly washed and chopped
1 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground coriander
5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
4 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups cauliflower florets
1 small potato, peeled and diced
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup chopped chives

In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Cook leek until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add stock, carrots, cauliflower, and potato. Simmer, partly covered, 2 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender. Whisk in the sour cream. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve, sprinkled with chives.

Instead of dealing with a food processor you could mash cooked vegetables with a potato masher and then mix with a hand mixer. We used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

Here's a little piece of heaven: Amy's rosemary bread with that grassy Stonehouse olive oil.

3 comments:

janeannechovy said...

Pureeing soups is the one time I use my stick blender (the one I bought as a poor college student because it was the only kitchen appliance I could afford--I bought a Braun and it's still going strong, though I only use it a couple of times a year). I've never been able to do it in the blender without having soup spray all over the walls.

Sounds yummy--we'll have to try it. It hasn't started raining yet, but it's been chilly enough not to leave the windows open all the time.

ME said...

We're months away from anything remotely chilly, but I made spicy shrimp and butternut squash soup this weekend nonetheless. Grew the squash myself, even.

I use the blender to puree. I fill blender less than half full, pulse a few times at first, do several batches and cover the lid with a dish cloth while it's blending. Otherwise it's like a bomb going off. I still have a Braun stick blender from college, too!

Mary Ellen

ks said...

I'm also making a nice fall soup today that will look exactly like yours--it's a curried carrot/lentil soup. It's still 85 degrees and totally grossly humid here in St. Louis but I'm hoping a nice autumn soup will make it seem like fall...at least inside the air-conditioned house! (grumble)

How cool that Jasper likes these flavors at such a young age!