Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, September 09, 2007

La Caille


We went to La Caille for brunch. It was my sister's idea, but I'd always been curious ever since a friend of Lane's took him before we were married. It's not just a restaurant, it's a little French-themed estate with a cottage you can stay in, grounds populated with swans, bunnies, and peacocks, and even a winery.


Lane took issue with the agressive peacocks (apparently tried to eat off his plate, and how do the wait staff work around them?), the 18th-century French-country Disneyesque costumes the wait staff are forced to wear (another indiginity), the potato "log" placed clumsily on his plate, and this line on the dessert menu: "we serve only the finest Haagen Dazs ice cream." Haagen Dazs? Why, that's only available at the finest 7-11s!

Lest my sister disown me, I should say that I enjoyed our visit to La Caille. Many customers complain that the expense is not worth the food, and they're right; but you're not just paying for the food. You're paying for the whole experience, the fairytale atmosphere, the apres-brunch walk through the gardens. If you grew up daydreaming about princesses and castles this will access a part of your psyche you probably keep buried out of maturity and common sense. La Caille is kind of like Disney for adults.


There were no potato logs, just a few little baby potatoes. I liked my salmon and latke eggs bennedict. They accommodated my vegan nephew with a beatiful plate of vegetables, including sauteed greens that weren't on the menu. Costumes aside, the service was friendly, attentive, and professional. And who doesn't like a cute novelty dessert? Serious food critics. But since I'm not I took delight in my ice cream swan. Eat your heart out, Bjork.


It's interesting to note the balance La Caille maintains between total cheesiness and the kind of serious quality you should expect from a high-end restaurant. But it's more fun to make fun...

The costumes are unfortunate, and moreso the hall of glamour-shots lining the hallway to the restrooms.

I use antlers in all of my decorating...


Fire fire!

Aw Angelica, don't get mad. It was so fun! And here is the prettiest sight -- the view of the Wasatch Front.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

My cousin's wedding reception was at La Caille about 10 years ago. I remember thinking about how cool I was to FINALLY get to go there. Growing up in UT--it is like a fairy tale to go there. And imagine a wedding there! I'm with you though--a lot of "cheese" to go with all those bigger than life bosoms.

Haagen Daaz? Yah--they've never tried MY ice cream. :)

janeannechovy said...

I went to a wedding there many years ago, and it was delightful--enough so that I don't remember the cheesy uniforms or the intrusive peacocks. It's placement at the mouth of the canyon means it's a little cooler and a little moister than most of the valley, which was really really pleasant in August (when the wedding was).

Writermama said...

wow, in all my years in UT, i never went once, but my first college roommate got engaged there. i have only heard overwhelmingly negative reports of it (from people I trust), so it's nice to read a different take. what's with the glamour shot wall, though?

Luisa Perkins said...

Hee, hee! The last time I was there, we were blessed with the potato logs. I'm glad they've moved on.

I totally got the antlers quote. That's my favorite Disney song EVER.