Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Womanwich


A friend of mine was just telling me how when she's in the mood for sloppy joes, only Manwich from the box will do. Naturally I stopped listening at "sloppy joes" and started cooking in my head.

I think I've posted about making sloppy joes before, but this version of the American delicacy has a slightly southwestern flavor.

1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t minced sage
1 lb ground beef
1 large zucchini, grated
one of those little cans of tomato paste
2T chili powder
1 t cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped

Brown the onion, garlic, and sage together and then add the beef. When the beef is fully cooked add the zucchini, tomato paste, chili, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir together and cook for about five minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

Have you already heard about this bun trick (no, it's not a glutes exercise)? Hollow out the center of each bun and your stuffing fits in better.


We had ours with some cheddar and green tomatoes. Even better the next day.

2 comments:

sylvia at ticklethepear.livejournal.com said...

Sloppy Janes.

Luisa Perkins said...

Sloppy Joannas?

This sounds like a good post-soccer lunch for a rainy Saturday. I'm on it. Thanks!