Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Casserole for the new season



Oh fall is here, it's finally here! As I write rain is bringing a chill to Brooklyn at last. Tomorrow we'll wear socks. I can't wait.

The boycott is over, so I made a casserole or sorts. No mayonnaise, cream of chicken soup, or cornflakes were involved. Just some Italian sausage, veggies, and goat cheese. I love the little kick the bit of parsnip gives it.

1 lb. mild Italian sausage, removed from casing
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 parsnip, thinly sliced
Fresh marjoram (or thyme) leaves
salt and pepper
1 8oz log of chevre
2 heads of garlic

After browning the the sausage in an oven-proof dish (enamelware or cast iron) remove from heat and add vegetables, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix well and then top with blobs of cheese. Cover and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until veggies are cooked and cheese melted. Roast garlic in a small dish at the same time.

Remove both from oven. Peel and mash or chop garlic, add to casserole, and stir everything together before serving.

Now that fall is really here it's time to start working on Jasper's Halloween costume. I keep asking him what he wants to be, hoping I'll get a different answer, but it's always the same: a blood monster that scares people. What? Yes, a blood monster. A BLOOD MONSTER. Don't you know what that is?

We sat down the other day to sketch out what this blood monster looks like. As you can see, it's simply a matter of hot-gluing a bunch of stuff on my son. And then dumping a bucket of red paint over his head. Oh yeah, this is going to work out just fine.

5 comments:

visitorian said...

heh heh...'holes where blood comes out' is just, well, terrifying. What an imagination Jasper has.

While I totally respect you for eschewing the traditional casserole varietals, don't you sometimes sort of miss "funeral potatoes"? Just a bit? (Equation: canned soup + frozen vegetables + butter + cheese + crunchy bits = food crack.) No?

Margo, darling said...

The blood monster made my day. I can't decide if I'm most intrigued by the circles on the fingers or the holes where the blood comes out. I can't stop smiling over this. The costume is already a stunning success.

Kate The Great said...

This is awesome. I can see the boy getting animatedly excited over this, big words flying all over the place.

The greatest part is that you had to sit down and draw it out to figure out what he meant. It might not be the most expensive costume ever, but he'll be one excited kid. Even more so than he is now. Rawr.

Adriana Velez said...

Thanks everyone. Welcome Visitorian. I do remember some casseroles fondly, but I always find my memories much tastier than the actual. I made funeral potatoes last year (or the year before?) and loved them -- I'll have to make more this winter.

Margo, I know -- what would Kristeva say?

Kate you nailed it. I just hope I can deliver the goods.

Luisa Perkins said...

Ah, I remember the year Christian was four. He wanted to be a 'bug attack.' I hot glued plastic bugs onto a turtleneck and sweat pants, then drew bugs on his face with face paint. Go with blood monster. It'll be awesome.

And I'm excited about the casserole!