Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Monday, October 01, 2007

Ceci n'est pas abergine


Or that's what I hoped my two eggplant haters would think.


I found these cute eggplants the other day. Red! Did you know eggplant comes in red? And round? Ordinarily I like food to taste like what it is, but in this case I had to smuggle in the eggplants. I don't even think the boys even knew it was there because the eggplant just dissolved into the sauce.

1-2 T minced garlic
1-2 T minced ginger
1 T coriander, crushed
vegetable oil
2 packages boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breast, if you must)
1 cup peeled and cubed eggplant
1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
1/2 bottle beer, preferably amber
curry leaves
1 package frozen peas
1 cup plain yogurt

Heat the vegetable oil and soften the garlic and ginger. Add the coriander and cook together a minute before adding the chicken, eggplant, sweet potato, beer, and curry leaves (if you can find any). Bring to a simmer and then cover, lowering the heat. Cook for about 20 minutes. Remove lid and stir in peas. Raise heat to reduce sauce a little, remove from heat, and stir in yogurt.

We had this over some fun purple jasmine rice. I'm a sucker for the novelty rices.

"Maddy" Madeleine Jasper is still a welcome member of the family, especially since what I thought was an allergic reaction turned out to be just a cold. Speaking of that cold, it prevented me from doing much cooking over the weekend. But we did go to Flatbush Farm one night for dinner when our neighbor offered to babysit. It was good, very locavore/seasonal/etc. The tuna tartar was perfect (with minced cornichons) but my pork chop was a teensy bit dry and the tart vinegar taste kind of sat on top of the dish too prominently. I feel like I'm nit picking, though. It's hard to cook pasture-raised pork, which has not been artificially fattened, enough to satisfy health codes without drying it out. We shared a fantastic molten chocolate cake which I swear had a bit of caramel in it. The cake came with yummy cardamon coffee ice cream.

I still want to try out their Sunday barbecue.

I got more cardamon ice cream Sunday at the new pastry shop in our neighborhood, Trois Pommes Patisserie, which was established solely to tantalize me, I'm sure. A few days earlier Jasper and I stopped in for some of their concord grape sorbet in a homemade cone. I couldn't believe anything not chocolate could be so delicious. Sunday we went in again, and Jasper, to my great delight (because that meant I got to have some), chose the cardamon ice cream. I got a chocolate and caramel mini tart with fleur de sel. Swoon. Next time I'll have to try their chocolate cup cake with espresso cream filling. Oh Pommes, please just go away! No, I didn't mean it. Stay! Stay!

9 comments:

Swizzies said...

It's "aubergine." I had to say it before JA got here, LOL.

Also, I hate aubergine - so I'm with Jasper and Lane on that one. And makin' 'em round and red AIN'T FOOLIN ANYONE!

But it actually looks yummy. As always. :-)

Swizzies said...

I feel compelled to mention, though, that there is this wee, hole-in-the-wall Sri Lankan place that serves a lunch that makes you cry, that has aubergine cooked in such a way that I actually LOVE it. All caramelised and mushy and curry-fied. Lordy. I even have seconds sometimes. It's such a hole in the wall that it doesn't have a name that anyone knows, and it looks like an abandoned wee bakery shop from the outside. And your choices are beef, chicken or vegetarian - it's a bowl of curry accompanied by a plate of rice surrounded by wee servings of hot and cold veggie dishes.

Drool.

I don't know why I just told you all of that. Maybe because I think you might be as keen as I am...?

Luisa Giugliano said...

I had my 30th birthday at Flatbush Farm. I love that the owner is cute and often wears pilot uniform to work, and was a great client at Umkarna, and knew my favorite catfish joint in the middle of nowhere Vermont. Great place for cocktails and nosh. Love the eggplant- we roasted purple cauliflower this weekend, it would have looked great with your colors!

Adriana Velez said...

bah! And here I was trying to be all fancy. The grammar is probably off, too.

The Sri Lankan place sounds divine.

Luisa, is the owner that bearded buy with the smooooooth Israeli accent?

janeannechovy said...

Di, that totally made me laugh, because there I was thinking that I was going to send A a little note as soon as I was done reading the comments for this post!

A, if you want to be a little more authentic in your paraphrase of Magritte, it should be "ceci n'est pas une aubergine" (since he had it "Ceci n'est pas une pipe.").

And it's cardamoM. :)

Hevansrich said...

Adriana- I kind of like eggplant but those red ones look waaay too much like persimmons for me to consider.... but the real reason I wanted to comment was a quick movie suggestion for Jasper (and you) if you haven't seen it yet we really love the movie The Iron Giant - the first part is a bit intense for Jed, but its a great "period piece" for kids. Jed may flirt with the Transformers, but his true love is for the Iron Giant.

Adriana Velez said...

Cardamom. You people are relentless. Actually, I knew that but when I wrote it the "mom" part seemed to coincidental. Many of my spelling errors have a narrative bent.

Heavens, thanks for the recommendation. I remember reading about Iron Giant a while before Jasper was born but I'd long since forgotten about it. Going on our Netflix cue today!

ks said...

Wow, tough crowd.

Hey, do you happen to know in which corner of the world those red aubergine were grown? There's this crazy "Global Market" here in St.L that I think must carry at least ten varieties of eggplant in whites, greens, and purps, but I've not seen the pretty red ones. Like you, I'd have to buy.

Also, do you have any suggestions on how one might best vegetarianize your chicken curry recipe? Sub potatoes and tofu, perhaps? (I know what you'll want to tell me: "Go back to meat," but that ain't happening.)

Luisa Perkins said...

Love the round eggplant. Must try!

Trois Pommes sounds amazing. Jealous. Yet again.

We always brine our pasture-fed pork with excellent results. No dryness. I wonder if they've tried that.