Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Elephant gifts of the season


I bought some concord grapes. They have seeds and bitter skins, but the flesh and must are divine. One dry quart made this tiny amount of juice.


These are gherkin cucumbers. They are tart in an unpleasant way but supposedly I can bottle them for pickles. Guess I'd better figure out how to can. One of the moms at the Two Angry Moms screening tells me that canning is the new knitting. Did you know that? Well, now you do. Go buy some jars or you'll feel left out.


This is a variety of radicchio. As you can see, it's green on the outside and purple on the inside. The other night when I made enchiladas I used some chopped radicchio as a topping. I was going to roast the second one with some olive oil and garlic, but I waited too long and it turned. Also, Lane found a spider in it.

8 comments:

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Grape juice, yummy! Love the picture of the gherkins (did I spell that correctly?) and there's nothing better than a popular pickle. As for the radicchio, I keep trying to love this leafy veg, but I can't get past the bitterness. What am I missing here or what should I be considering by way of recipes? My only experience with it is as an additive in salads for cooler, but I always end up picking it out. Enlighten me, please!

Swizzies said...

You have to be Italian to get it, Tewkes. (Or a super sophisticated foodie.) They LOVE-a the bitter.

Adriana Velez said...

Tewkesbury, yes, it's gherkins. I checked for once. I can't explain/justify my attraction to bitter flavors. I just like the way that astringent, distinct note rises on top of other flavors, if that makes sense. It's bracing in a non-painful way. I don't know, pour me a Campari and maybe I'll come up with a better explanation.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheri said...

when our neighbor's mini plum tree recently spilled full force into our yard, i looked up canning. just jam, you know? complex recipes in general can give me anxiety and the idea of canning almost sent me over the edge. for whatever reason, especially that part where you boil them once they're sealed to kill any bacteria. bacteria! too scared...

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

A popular pickle. A POPULAR pickle? Is that seriously what I wrote?!?!! Ugh. I meant proper. PROPER pickle.

Swizzies: Are you suggesting I'm not sophisticated? ;-) Just kidding. Actually, I know my palette isn't that hoity toity. Hence, my inability to enjoy radicchio.

I wonder if my dislike of radicchio is related to my dislike of cilantro? Can't eat that stuff either. Tastes like bleach.

Swizzies said...

Hey Tewkesy, I'm in the food gutter along with you, babe. I hate bitter - blech. Actually, I'm further down the gutter than you are, because I don't like some of your Twist of Brunch stuff (e.g., anything with vomit - I mean, goat cheese). I do hate cilantro along with you - although I used to love it. Go figger.

Also, I saw the "popular pickles" thing and wasn't sure if you were making a Bednar joke or somthing. Anyhoo...it's funny that you wrote popular. :-)

Luisa Perkins said...

Mmmm, I got some Sheridan grapes from a local grower the other day--musky, skin-slippy, and delicious, just like Concords.

If I can make pickles, you can make pickles. Like most things, the homemade are so much better than the store-bought.