Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lemony ricotta and lumina pumpkin


In addition to the great, orange pumpkin we got Jasper at Indian Ladder Farms I also got these lovelies. Tonight I used the white lumina pumpkin to make a tart.

I cut 1/4-1/2 inch slices of pumpkin and arranged them on a whole-wheat pizza crust. (So all right, it wasn't exactly a tart. The Coop was out of puff pastry, but the crust was so delightfully crunchy and chewy I'm actually glad.) I added big chunks of garlic and drizzled all with olive oil. Then I salted and added sprigs of rosemary. I baked this at 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until the pumpkin was soft.


I took the tart out and removed the rosemary. Then I dotted the tart with big blobs of the most wonderful ricotta in the world (more on that later). It soon melted and I spread it around. This is probably good with ordinary extra-virgin olive oil and whatever ricotta you can find at the supermarket, but with a grassy, California olive oil and the ricotta I found it was quite extraordinary -- much better than it deserved to be, considering how little effort went into making it.

I got the Salvatore Bklyn ricotta at Blue Apron, where I learned it's made here in Brooklyn (with New Jersey milk) by an aptly-named pastry chef named Betsy Devine. It's made with lemon juice instead of rennet -- and the taste is bliss. You can also get the ricotta at the restaurant where she works, Lunetta.

In addition to the pumpkin tart, I also had the ricotta yesterday over tomato bruschetta and smeared over these cookies.

Lumina --- Lunetta --- is there a connection?

4 comments:

Luisa Giugliano said...

Up Here the Lumina is called a Hubbard Squash. I steamed one last night and pureed it with butter and good salt. It has a great sweet flavor. Jasper does look mature! Lovely boy.

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, sweet mercy.

Lindsey said...

I bought some ricotta yesterday because I couldn't stop thinking about it after I ready your post. Mine is made with vinegar. Do you think if I added a little lemon juice it'd be okay?

And did you like the cookies then??? I am going to make some this week, I think.

betsy devine and rachel mark said...

glad you like the ricotta! randomly, i came across your blog - love it. dinner looks great! thanks for the shout out...