Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, October 04, 2007

The roast that turned into stir-fry


This is what I get for planning ahead. I'll never do that again! A few days ago I came across a roasted vegetable salad recipe that calls for pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnips, fennel bulb, and garlic. Doesn't that sound tasty? Except that we got hit by another heat wave and I cannot deal with our heat-leaking oven in this weather.

Instead I stopped by the Japanese fish store and picked up a package of fresh soba
noodles with MSG-laden spice packet. At home I stir-fried some garlic and thinly-sliced sweet potato and fennel bulb with a little rice vinegar and hoisin sauce for just a few minutes, leaving the veggies still a little crisp. I set that aside and then cooked the noodles in a little bit of water with the spice packet, then added the veggies back in.

Oh spice packet, you are so tasty. Why do you have to have MSG?

We had some edamame (protein!) and seaweed salad on the side.

Blogger! What's with the random break between soba and noodle? I can't get rid of it!

1 comment:

Luisa Perkins said...

In complete sympathy with your ode to the spice packet.