Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Sunday, December 02, 2007

My kind of Christmas decorations

My own preference is for Christmas decorations that lean towards the tacky. The holiday is about sentiment, sloppy feelings, nostalgia -- celebrating good taste kind of takes the joy out of it, I think. So around these parts we tend to be more Amy Sedaris than Martha Stewart.

I made this advent calendar with felt and upholstery fabric. Since I keep it rolled up in storage it won't hang straight. I'm worried about ironing over glue.


Paper glitter stars. These usually hang in the window but after what the cat did to our glue ghosts over Halloween I decided to hang them all together from a sconce instead.

Maybe you've seen the glass-balls-in-a-bowl trick in magazines. Our collection is shrinking because someone keeps wanting to play with the balls, which don't, in fact, bounce.

Island of misfit toys.

6 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

We just saw a production of David Sedaris's "Santaland Diaries." Just the thing to usher in the holidays. So hysterically funny. He mentions his sister Amy in passing.

janeannechovy said...

I love your Christmas decorations. And whenever I see that santa pillow, I remember how you first described it, and I have old feather and down pillows I inherited from my mom that hadn't been washed in ages until I put them through about six cycles of washing and drying and collected many many loads of scary dusty lint, so I know exactly what he must smell like.

And I did the glass-balls-in-bowl trick for the first time last year. All gold balls, different sizes, in crystal bowls. The best part was taking advantage of the post-Christmas markdowns at Target (since I was mostly decorating for a January party, not for Christmas).

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I like it. It's cozy and personal and nostalgic--all things I love about Christmas!

Adriana Velez said...

I'll have to post again on Amy Sedaris -- she's great.

Ah yes, the filthy santa pillow. How I detested him at first, but then I surrendered. Sweet, sweet surrender.

Sheri said...

totally laughing (and loving)...

Hevansrich said...

would love to hear you post on Amy Sedaris - another plus to the movie "ELF" - she's a co-star!