Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Kitchen rugs


In our ongoing project to spiff-up our kitchen we ditched our blue, hand-made rag rug (bought at a market in Cedar City, Utah). It was falling apart and anyway, it had never matched our kitchen.

I didn't want to rush replacing our rug. During the last two years I've instituted a new rule for our 450-square-foot apartment: buy only what we love. No more "make do for now" junk. So I started looking in magazines and blogs for kitchen rugs and guess what -- I never see rugs in the kitchen. Why? Do they remove the rugs for the photo shoot or is there something gauche about having a rug in the kitchen?

I posed this question at Food Buzz and it's gone unanswered. Does anyone out there have an opinion about kitchen rugs? Feel free to respond either here or at Food Buzz.

By the way, I got the above image from this website, where I thought I'd find some funny, hideous rugs. I actually kind of like some of their rugs, though.

6 comments:

Luisa Giugliano said...

luisa cervesa (sp?) has a rug that i thought about for our kitchen. It is on sale at nonchalantmom.com. I think you might like it. let me know what you think.

janeannechovy said...

I'm a big kitchen rug fan, and I usually get rag rugs, too, so they're washable. My current set (one in front of the sink and one in front of the stove--I think they're each 30x40, and it's about time to replace them) I got from the Crate & Barrel online outlet.

If you have wood floors in your kitchen, like I do, rugs are essential to protect from liquid spills. They also protect the finish by not letting your footsteps grind in crumbs and grit.

Anne Bradshaw said...

Need to place a non-skid runner under the rug if it's on a wood floor. Some nasty kitchen accidents can be prevented this way.

We have a large, industrial padded mat in front of the sink. Great for standing, and easy clean.

kellypea said...

I haven't had a rug in my kitchen in quite a while. I have been thinking of getting one of those fatigue mats for long cooking sessions, though. I don't want to keep it down all the time because I want to see my floor. It's beautiful in and of itself so I don't want it covered. Saw your profile at foodbuzz...:)

Kate The Great said...

Well, that's easy, Ace. The kitchen is the place where food is spilled most often. And often, people would rather wash their floor than wash their rug.

Chez Denise et Laudalino said...

We have you beat ... 400 sq.ft apartment! And I got a kitchen rug about a year, mainly to keep my toes warm when making espresso first thing in the morning. By the way, check out Target, if you have one near you .... cute kitchen rugs and CHEAP!!!