Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Thursday, February 21, 2008

About that VOLUNTARY beef recall

Will you read another rant from me about the meat industry in the United States? No? Well then, how about this excellent rant-er-post at Tigers and Strawberries.

I've been reading about how useless the USDA is in What To Eat. Well, useless to us -- the USDA has a dual mission: promoting the various food industries and promoting food safety. You wouldn't think these two missions are mutually exclusive, but they are. Food safety matters to the USDA only when it is convenient for the food industry or when there's a public outcry.

Connecticut Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro was on Brian Lehrer this morning to talk about the voluntary recall. She says we should have a Food Safety Administration independent from the USDA. Yeah! Let's build it!

5 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, that was a good post at T&S. Thanks for the link! Just one more validation for buying all of our family's milk, eggs, and meat at a local farm....

Swizzies said...

I am SO with you. The industry and the USDA are an effing joke. A deadly one, IMO.

I'm assuming you've already read The Omnivore's Dilemma?

Our food supply is so much better here, I just can't tell you how much I appreciate that. Sorta makes your co-op and the CSAs all the more precious.

Adriana Velez said...

Luisa, I love hearing about your local farm.

Swizzies, I haven't read The Omnivore's Dilemma. I know I should, but I kind of feel like I'm already the converted...still, I think I ought to. It's on my list.

Swizzies said...

Hey A...the long stretches of narrative about the Polyface farm are in themselves worth the price of admission. Makes the whole food chain (in our modern world anyhow) make so much more sense, so beautiful in a way.

Jane Maynard said...

nate and I just watched 'fast food nation'...the day that this story broke, completely coincidentally. so stinkin scary.

go michael pollan! I need to get omnivore's dilemma...I'm dying to read it.

you've gotta love the fact that ~30 years ago the FDA came up with eating guidelines, which included the fact we should NOT eat dairy and meat. the industry found out, and, surprise, here comes the food pyramid, a totally different way of eating. I don't think the pyramid is evil, but I do think it's deplorable a lobby can have so much power...I mean, seriously, that political maneuvering has completely shaped how americans eat (or mis-eat, more accurately). it's just crazy.

okay, done ranting and raving. :)