Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, February 08, 2008

The magical bling bling


I resolved my technical issue. Actually, the issue was that Jasper has discovered the joys of web surfing, playing the online kid's games and watching Frodo, Don't Wear The Ring. On one hand, this is fantastic because it means he's entertained and I can go do something with my life. On the other hand, I keep thinking "I could be writing right now but he's on the laptop!" When he's not on the laptop he wants me to play with him (because we've neglected to supply him with a sibling and also I'm too lazy to schedule playdates) and there you have my conundrum.

I tried to order one of those XO laptops (from One Laptop Per Child) but my order got bungled. So I bought a used MacBook. It's just for Jasper. Believe me, I'm aware of the unsavory image of the family that spends all its time hunched over laptops. And don't get me started on the idea of buying a four-year-old his own computer. But there you go; that's our life.

Anyway, I caught up a little with several posts today. Read about Jerusalem artichokes, get that pizza crust recipe, find out what I ate on Superbowl Sunday, and peruse a hodge podge of other topics.

I'll be posting more often, thanks to my electronic babysitter. And I'll try to supress my guilt while I'm at it.

Oh yeah, and the above dish is a "get lucky" Moroccan-ish pie. I browned cubed lamb, coated in flour, added chicken stock, carrots, sweet potato, cinnamon sticks, pine nuts, and lemon peel and brought to a simmer. Then I covered it with a few layers of philo dough and baked at 350 degrees for... I can't remember. Maybe 45 minutes. For something just thrown together at the last minute it was quite tasty.

3 comments:

Luisa Giugliano said...

Don't have your email- for some reason. I wanted to let you know that we are moving back to nyc- hope we will get to spend some real time with you lovelies soon! xxoo

Luisa Perkins said...

Phyllo dough--is there anything it can't do?!?

janeannechovy said...

What did you do to the phyllo before putting it atop the pie? Did you let it thaw, and separate and butter all the sheets like you would do for baklava or spanakopita? I've got a little bit of leftover phyllo in the freezer (not enough to make either of the aforementioned options), so this would be a great way to get rid of it.