Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, February 08, 2008

Superbowl's sister


So maybe you heard, there was a superbowl last weekend.

I don't really watch football. Yeah, I'm that girly. Usually I don't even know who is playing in the superbowl; you can get away with that kind of ignorance here in Park Slope. That's why I live here. But I actually paid attention this year because my home team was playing. This means I checked in every once in a while to see what the score was and to see if the commercials were at all entertaining.

Through it all, I got tired of hearing about all the junk food everyone eats during the game. My brother likes to mix canned chili with cubed velveeta, nuke it, and dip in with tortilla chips. I wanted to eat some junk, too! But where to start, especially since Lane was working in the studio and I didn't feel like dragging Jasper out to buy chips.

I did have lots of butter on hand, so I buttered a dish, covered it with a layer of thinly-sliced yukon gold potatoes, covered that with some Spanish sheep's milk cheese, added another layer of potatoes, more butter, and more cheese and roasted that. Yum, animal fat and starch! OK, yes, I added thyme and yes, it was not technically "junk" food. But it was defintely unhealthy.

We also had some blueberries in the freezer, so I faked my way through a blueberry crumble. I tossed the berries with a tablespoon of flour, poured them into a dish, and dotted with butter. Then I mixed melted butter with more flour, allspice (we were out of cinnamon), brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. I topped the blueberries with the crumble and baked until it was bubbling and the crumble (what was left of it) was crisp and golden.

I was weeping over Miss Austen Regrets when Lane called on his way home. He had stopped into a bar just in time to see the Jets pull off a victory. Everyone in Brooklyn was screaming -- I could hear it outside my window. I said, "That's great, Lane! Er, could I call you back?" I had another bite of gooey blueberry crumble and returned to Jane, struggling through illness to complete Emma while her family nears financial ruin and she faces, yet again, the consequences of decisions she made in her youth. You cheer your team and I'll cheer mine.

2 comments:

Hevansrich said...

you may not have realized you referred to the Giants as the Jets. thats okay, you were probably too engrossed in "Miss Cross regrets"....

completely understandable.

Adriana Velez said...

Oh my, I am blushing.