Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Friday, March 07, 2008

From the cookbook to reality

Do you do this, too? Remember a recipe from a while back that looked good -- you have a few of the most important ingredients, say pork, star anise, soy sauce. You get all the food out and realize you are missing a few ingredients. I have a hard time stopping once I've got the momentum going, so I'll usually just fake it the best that I can.


I had a Donna Hay recipe (image above) calling for sesame oil, shredded fresh ginger, Chinese cooking wine or sherry, soy sauce, hoisin sace, sugar, star anise, and 4 pork fillets. I didn't have the right wine, but I did have an overly-sweet shiraz. I didn't have any hoisin sauce, either. And I hate adding sugar to dinner.

Here's what I made instead:

1 T sesame oil
1 T shredded ginger
1 cup undrinkably sweet wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 star anise
4 pork chops, trimmed

Saute the ginger for a minute in the oil. Add the wine, soy sauce, and anise, simmer for another minute, and then add the pork. Cover and cook on each side for at least 5 minutes until done. Remove pork to a plate and reduce sauce.


It came out very salty, but we like that.

I also had some broccoli, which I didn't think would quite work with star anise (maybe I'm wrong). I steamed it and then made a quick sauce by sauteeing some chopped garlic in sesame oil and soy sauce. Then I tossed the broccoli with rice noodles.

No comments: