Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Kitchen dirt

It falls on the floor. I pick it up, rinse it off, and keep going.

I dip in my spoon, stir, taste, stir with the same spoon, stir...

All I want to eat this winter is Buddhist temple food; Lane wants meat and potatoes.

I put the good Wusthoff knives in the dishwasher all the time. (Just like I put the cashmere in the washing machine all the time.)

Hair in the pasta again.

What is this sticky stuff on the floor?

I add the yogurt to the too-hot sauce too soon for the 1000th time and as usual it curdles instantly. Why do I keep making the same mistake?

Secret stash of chocolate.

Cut off the tip of my thumb again.

Sink full of dirty pots and pans left overnight.

Who knew mango chutney would eventually grow mold in the refrigerator? But miso paste lasts forever.

I've been out of ground cinnamon since November.

Frostburn on the forgotten curry leaves and banana leaves in my freezer.

Paid too much for that rose petal jam no one wants to eat because it squeaks when you chew it.

I should probably throw out all that Halloween candy I hid from Jasper.

Some 10% of our weekly grocery bill appears to go towards maple syrup.

I have no idea what I'm making for dinner tonight.

5 comments:

Swizzies said...

I love it. It's perfect.

Cafe Johnsonia said...

Oh, yes. I've been thinking about what would be on my list. It would shock a few people for sure.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

More poetry! Honestly, Adriana, I think you've found a new way to write about food and cooking and domesticity. I love it!

Luisa Perkins said...

I'm shocked by your cinnamon confession. ;)

We were in Brooklyn today, on Carroll Street. Lovely concert at the Old First Reformed Dutch Church. I wish I'd thought to get a hold of you first. :(

janeannechovy said...

Owie owie owie! Did it have to be surgically reattached?

But I'm totally with you on the less-than-stellar kitchen hygiene.