Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Letter to Point Reyes Blue


My Love,

It has been months since I last savoured your briny, tangy flesh -- months, long enough, and yet if feels like years. Why have I not seen you at the Park Slope Food Coop? Is it because the buyer knows that the funky Spanish blues I've seen lately travel to New York by boat while you, my dearest, arrive via a larger carbon footprint, by truck?

Cruel and short-sighted Coop employee! Why must you stand between me and the curds of my destiny? I will not be daunted. I will seek you out at other stores. Yes! I will even break my bonds to the PSFC in search of you, my blue-veined angel.

I laugh now when I think of how I didn't even like blue cheese before I knew you. I had only tasted generic blues from Denmark. But then you arrived, with your crystallized sugars and whiff of seaside grass that grows on one of the most spectacular landscapes in America.

Yes, I will defy even my locavore ethics for you. (I might as well; I've been eating broccoli from California all winter.) I will find you, my love. I will find you.

Photo from The Nibble.

13 comments:

Swizzies said...

Oh, that was LOLawesome. Your parenthetic aside in the final paragraph was the peepee inducer for me.

I still don't like bleu cheese, though. Yes, in the land of cheeses aplenty. Feel free to castigate me. Or take comfort in knowing that next time you visit, you can have all that I have not eaten. :-)

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

Wow! I think I'd call this Ode to a Cheese or Rhapsody on a Theme of Point Reyes Blue.

Have you tried Whole Foods? That's where I go for my beloved Humboldt Fog Chevre.

Margo, darling said...

Curse you for your beautiful writing. Curse you for making me want blue cheese when I'm not supposed to have it. Curse you fears of listeria! But you say it's made in New York? So is it pasteurized? Because you make me want it. I even have sweet wheat biscuits in the cupboard.

liz said...

oooo i will have to seek this one out for mike.

Luisa Perkins said...

Ahhhh, Point Reyes Blue...AV, I think we share a lover.

J.M. Tewkesbury said...

I forgot. Wegman's may also be a purveyor of your love...

janeannechovy said...

Margo, my understanding is that pasteurized cheeses are go go go during pregnancy, so eat up. At my local fine cheese purveyor, unpasteurized cheeses are clearly marked as such and thus easy to avoid. Like Di, I'm not a blue fan (though I can tolerate it in small amounts in salads etc.), but I'd die if I couldn't have fairly regular infusions of soft French cheeses. Or Italian--my latest purchase was of a cheese new to me, paisanella. Pretty mild as they go.

Congrats on the pregnancy! I always love to talk gory details, should you be so inclined.

Sheri said...

we could probably work out some kind of covert operation. they're just up the road from here, you know? i won't tell if you won't tell how many bananas we consume. :)

Adriana Velez said...

I'm just here to amuse you all. It's a good day for me if I've made someone pee their pants.

JaneAnne, thanks for clarifying on the safety of PRB. I should add that this is a smallish, family-run operation with a big reputation to maintain, so I would think they run a very clean shop.

I broke a lot of the eating rules while I was pregnant. I hate food prohibitions.

JM, there's no Wegman's here, I'm afraid. But I know of at least one shop just two blocks away from me that should have PRB. I just need to stop being so lazy about buying my food at a store other than the coop -- which, incidentally, carrries Humbolt Fog.

Yuri said...

Yuri, the cheese buyer from the Food Coop here . . .there are some new delicious blues that could be right up your alley. Give the Buffala Blue a try! And I'll see if I can get in the Pt Reyes for next week.

ks said...

Dang, ask and ye shall receive! That is so cool.

Adriana Velez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adriana Velez said...

There is a god and his name is Yuri.