Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sweet potato fries and ass burgers




My sweet potato fries are not actually fried; they're baked. So they're not going to be the platonic ideal of crispy fries. Still, if you're lucky and careful, you'll get some crunch and a lot of flavor.

I started by chopping two large sweet potatoes into thick sticks. (I kept the peel on because that's where the vitamins hide.) I tossed these in about 1/4 cup olive oil, just enough to coat all the sticks, and then dusted with about 1/4 cup flour. I spread the sticks on a cookie sheet, sprinkled with dried rosemary, salt, and pepper, and put under the broiler for about 15-20 minutes.

By then the fries were toasted on the top but not quite soft enough. I turned off the oven and left them in for a few minutes more. Ooooh, I love sweet potatoes with olive oil and rosemary.

Hey kids, here's an idea! Next time you make hamburgers, top them with a slice of kale instead of the usual romane or iceburg for extra calcium and vitamins. No really, give it a try. And then use the rest to make that Melissa Hamilton kale salad. I can't tell you how many of these I've eaten. Kale was the veggie of the winter.

So that's sweet potato fries. Now for the ass burger.

I made the mistake of referring to asperger's syndrome in front of Jasper and he jumped on it. Ass burger! Hilarious! What does it mean? I explained it to him as best as I could, but he rejected my definition. Now anything is an ass burger! What fun for the four-year-old!

Every few minutes this morning I've cringed thinking that Jasper could be in preschool, right now, telling people all about ass burger.

5 comments:

shaunamama said...

I laughed myself sore with this one. It's not because I have the sense of humor of a four year old, it's because I can see Jasper laughing his little blonde head off at his own joke.

Swizzies said...

Oy. Reminds me of when I inadvertently taught him the "P" word at Dr Lala's house and then he proceeded to walk around saying it loudly.

Oops.

Paul O'Brian said...

I was totally expecting this to be a burger recipe using rump roast.

Luisa Perkins said...

Okay, that particular homophonic-ness had never occurred to me. I'll be giggling about that for days.

ks said...

While "ass burgers" did not hold much appeal for me, the sweet potato "fries" were impossible to get out of my mind. I bought a giganto sweet spud yesterday and had a big ol' plate of them for dinner with a dipping sauce of homemade hot sauce tempered with plain greek yogurt. Holy mama, that was good! Thanks, I would never have thought rosemary and sweet potatoes were such soul mates.