Food Buzz


Because maybe you do care what I had for lunch...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day

I'm hoping we can make it up to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens today. We're waiting for the delivery of our un-earth-friendly shipping container so we can send our energy-sucking laptop off to be repaired. Wouldn't it be ironic if we spent all of Earth Day indoors?

Just as my birthday really lasts a whole week (if not the entire month), Earth Day is really Earth Week, and we got things started Saturday by doing some gardening. We neglected the front and rooftop gardens last year because we spent the summer in California. My perennial herbs wasted away, including the lavender that had finally started blooming. All that returned this year (on the roof) were a hardy sage, the indestructable chives, the hens-and-chicks, some evergreen shrub I can't identify, and some sort of succulent plant.

This spring I planted nasturtium from seed, and it's actually sprouting! I'm most excited about that. I've also planted some blue fescue and fountain grass, new rosemary, basil, lavender, thyme, Thai coriander, spearmint, and oregano, miniature petunias, violas, and phlox. I'm hoping the shiso I planted by seed also sprouts. I think I can see something that might be shiso, or might be nasty weed.

The front garden has always been more Lane's domain. We have a large, non-flowering hydrangea (front is too shady) along with some ground covers and hostas. Lane put in some coleus and a few other ornamental annuals. But I'm dying to tear out that hydrangea and put in a weeping Japanese red-leaf maple.

And now, let us read a few of my favorite lines from our holy Earth-Day text, The Lorax:

UNLESS someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better.
It's not.

But let's have a little fun -- I love all the Seussisms:

whisper-ma-phone
miff-muffered moof
snuvv
gruvvulous glove
crummies in tummies
gluppity-glupp and schloppity-schlopp
BIGGERING

I think it's time for some sun salutes.

2 comments:

Kate The Great said...

I like the idea of a weeping Japanese red maple too. You can use me as part of your argument, if you want.

Luisa Perkins said...

Happy Earth Day! I also posted about it.

We have a gorgeous Japanese maple in our yard. I love that tree. I'd be happy to give you one of the thousands of seedlings that spring up in the lawn every year, if you want.